Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I keep finding myself logged out

1. Jan 21, 2016 #1

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

While i'm composing a post something happens - when i hit post reply i get tha "You must be logged in to do that..." screen
    and after logging back in the latter part of what i just composed is gone

am i unique in this awful annoyance ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2016 #2
    Anytime something weird happens run through this list:

1. Manually log off
    2. Clear browser cache and PF cookies
    3. Close browser
    4. Restart Computer
    5. Open browser
    6. Manually log in making sure "stay logged in" is checked

4. Jan 21, 2016 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, I am unable to stay logged in.

5. Jan 21, 2016 #4
    How long do you stay logged in?

6. Jan 21, 2016 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Don't log in at that point, go back in your browser history, then (for most reasonable browsers) your text should be there again. Copy it to save it, then log in.

"Stay logged in" works for me. Are you sure your browser doesn't delete cookies from PF?

7. Jan 21, 2016 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... until the recent "housekeeping" activity, all the time.

8. Jan 21, 2016 #7
    No, how long does staying logged in last for. Obviously you have enough time to write this post. Is it 15min, 1 hour, 2 hours? What do you mean recent housekeeping? Have you done the steps in my post #2?

9. Jan 21, 2016 #8

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Five to ten minutes. Sometimes less. Until I saw your reply to Jim's inquiry, I was not punching the "Stay logged in" button.

10. Jan 22, 2016 #9

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Probably a naive suggestion; but have you tried it with a different browser?

11. Jan 22, 2016 #10
    Things definitely changed for me but it was easily fixed.
    What used to happen is that I would stay logged in as long as I didn't close the tab (firefox).
    About a week ago it changed so that I would get logged out after a while, even if the tab was still open.
    So then I ticked the 'stay logged in' box at the initial log-in, and now things are working as previously.
    That's good, because then I can see if I have any new alerts at PF while doing something else in another tab.

12. Jan 22, 2016 #11

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

thanks i'll try that. I too use Firefox, something changed. But this computer has taken to "locking up"

so it's an uncontrolled experiment.

13. Jan 22, 2016 #12

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"Something" has changed; and, it is coincident with the cosmetic changes (no relationship is asserted or implied). Previously, I could log in, no check mark in the box, and "run" for days without any problem. Now, I log in, check the box, and have to actively choose to exit/log off. I can turn my computer off and still be logged in/on the next time I power up and reconnect.

14. Jan 23, 2016 #13

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Having similar issues to Bystander and Jim since the last update, just get randomly logged out sometimes. Happened when I tried to post, or when I tried to navigate the forums.

Only a minor annoyance for myself, but it does get old. Seems to be getting better, but yesterday (I think yesterday, I also thought it was still like 9 o-clock until I just looked at the time) was particularly bad - in the logged out every 5 to 10 minutes for no reason category.

15. Jan 23, 2016 #14
    Did you try my tips in #2? It's not unheard of for cache files and cookies to become corrupted.

16. Jan 23, 2016 #15

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, it also happened on multiple work stations/ phone browser. It seems to have calmed down a lot now though, and hasn't reoccurred since the posting.

Actually, just happened again as I tried to post this. :) I'll try re-clearing everything again. It has happened in IE10, latest chrome and firefox. I'm in chrome right now.

17. Feb 11, 2016 #16

strangerep

Science Advisor

Greg,

I'm having this problem too. (I run firefox, but it's only started happening within the last few weeks.)

I just got thrown off (i.e., unexpectedly logged off) shortly before
    Fri Feb 12 00:54:05 GMT 2016
    while composing a post. Maybe you can check your logs and find the reason why I was thrown off?

18. Feb 11, 2016 #17

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

really active today.

19. Feb 11, 2016 #18
    Same here, is only Firefox users experiencing this?

20. Feb 11, 2016 #19

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

i'm firefox , 18.5 i think

edit - did it again when i hit post

21. Feb 11, 2016 #20
    I'm investigating this

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook