I know it could be worse, but

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
OmCheeto
Gold Member
Always look on the bright side of life...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jHPOzQzk9Qo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param [Broken] name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jHPOzQzk9Qo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

"When you're chewing on lifes gristle, don't grumble, give a whistle!
And this'll help things turn out for the best."

Last edited by a moderator:

I know what to do now the next time I get a paper cut

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
"Yes, dear, you can have that diamond necklace you've been asking for, as soon as you finish the bottle of vodka so I can get what I've been asking for...")

You mean that works?

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I feel better now, after a good night's sleep and a big breakfast taco (with lots of avocado - mmmm!).

No, I haven't been messing with anything radioactive, or torturing any babies in my lab :eek: ...I only torture wood building products :smile: ! The data that has been subpeoned relates to VOC emissions from adhesives. I didn't get a chance to look at the subpeona, only heard about it from my boss. So I don't even know who's sueing whom...just as well since I probably shouldn't get into details anyway.

Funny how things work...weeks and weeks can go by without so much as a hiccup, then one week it all goes to hell in a handbasket.

I feel better now, after a good night's sleep and a big breakfast taco (with lots of avocado - mmmm!).

No, I haven't been messing with anything radioactive, or torturing any babies in my lab :eek: ...I only torture wood building products :smile: ! The data that has been subpeoned relates to VOC emissions from adhesives. I didn't get a chance to look at the subpeona, only heard about it from my boss. So I don't even know who's sueing whom...just as well since I probably shouldn't get into details anyway.

Funny how things work...weeks and weeks can go by without so much as a hiccup, then one week it all goes to hell in a handbasket.

Katrina, Katrina (I wonder if its about those trailers)

here's a variation I hadn't heard of Catrina:

140px-Catrinas_2.jpg

Two catrinas, about 15 inches tall
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catrina

I don't think they can 'give a little whistle' though

Last edited:
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jHPOzQzk9Qo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param [Broken] name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jHPOzQzk9Qo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That dang song has been stuck in my head all day since I listened to the clip this morning! :grumpy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo
Mentor
LisaB, I certainly hope things are looking up. I'd buy you one of those bottles of Diva, but I want one.

Sparkly and colorful and gets you drunk, what else could a girl want?

LisaB, I certainly hope things are looking up. I'd buy you one of those bottles of Diva, but I want one.

the guy that owns the factory?

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Sounds like my gay bartender friend in West Hollywood. :cool:

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You need a treat, Lisa. Go buy yourself something pretty. (And I don't just mean a new bandsaw.)

Tsu
Gold Member
What if its a PRETTY bandsaw?

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What if its a PRETTY bandsaw?

:rofl:

Do they come in pink :!!) ?

turbo
Gold Member
My neighbor has a HUGE Wood-Mizer bandsaw that can saw very large logs into boards, beams, etc. The wood is held stationary by clamps, dogs, etc, and the saw-frame moves on rollers. The base is square and level, so the saw can be fed through the log with almost no effort. It isn't very pretty, but it's fun to turn logs into beautiful lumber, stick it and stack it to dry. He's also got a full wood shop including planer, jointer, radial arm saw, table saw, miter saw, etc, and he leaves the shop unlocked and gives me free access to everything. Cool!

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
We have a huge one at work, where we have to cut giant glulam beams every day.

But the one I broke was a much smaller one. The blade was pulling strongly to the right as soon as I started the cut, so I adjusted the blade tension a little bit...and everything went haywire. I would make a small adjustment and the response would be highly non-linear. It had to be locked & tagged out.

I think the problem is actually that the teeth are bent a little. No blade adjustment can compensate for bent teeth.

A new blade will hopefully fix it...not a really big deal, but of course it happened during a week where everything else was hitting the fan, too!

turbo
Gold Member
It's really hard to make a mid-course correction during a band-saw cut because the blade is actually pretty fragile. They have to be brittle and hard to hold an edge, and they have to be thin and light snd flexible enough to make their cuts.

Last edited:
We have a huge one at work, where we have to cut giant glulam beams every day.

But the one I broke was a much smaller one. The blade was pulling strongly to the right as soon as I started the cut, so I adjusted the blade tension a little bit...and everything went haywire. I would make a small adjustment and the response would be highly non-linear. It had to be locked & tagged out.

I think the problem is actually that the teeth are bent a little. No blade adjustment can compensate for bent teeth.

A new blade will hopefully fix it...not a really big deal, but of course it happened during a week where everything else was hitting the fan, too!

I had a couple summer jobs in California using a band saw for hours at a time. When it started pulling one direction or another, it was either just before the blade broke, or it was dull and needed to be replaced.