I know my MS, but what about my BS?

• Thread starter TsunamiJoe
  • Start date
In summary: Practical Unix and Internet Security" is a good book to read if you want to know more about computer security. It covers topics such as how to protect your computer from viruses and online attacks, how to use passwords and security measures for your email, and how to protect your computer from being hacked.
TsunamiJoe
I know I want to take Computer Security and Information Assurance Master of Science provided by MIT(of which I cannot find information on what courses are suggested prior(such as a needed BS prerequisite)). I am planning on taking my BS at RIT, the only problem is, I don't know what one to take, and as I said before I cannot seem to find the list of suggested BS degrees, but I assume theyre similar to RIT's list which are a Bachelor of Science degree in computer science, software engineering, information technology, computer engineering, electrical engineering, applied mathematics or computer engineering technology.

Of which I have narrowed down to Computer Science, and Applied Mathematics.

Also since I cannot find proper information on MITs MS program I'll take what I found from RIT's which suggests a focus on four of the following: Computer System Security, Secure Database Systems, Secure Wireless and Wired Data Networks, Cryptography, Secure Software Engineering, Security, Law, Ethics and Policy, Research Methods, or Thesis.

Of which I have narrowed down to: Cryptography, Computer System Security, Secure Database Systems, and Secure Software Engineering.

My wanted career is a field agent for the CIA, which requires both combat training, foreign language, and computer systems knowlage. The combat training and majority of foreign language will be provided by the Army Rangers.

So basicaly what I am wanting to know, is what is your opinion on what BS degree I should earn in order to be best prepared for a focus in those areas? Also do you have a suggestion to alter my current preferance of what 4 areas I should focus on, because I am only completely positive on Cryptography being a field of study, the others are merely related subjects that I believe would proove useful.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you'd like to eventually do a master's in computer security, you can do no better than to get a BS in computer science.

If you were interested in a master's in cryptography, applied mathematics might be better (cryptography is an abstract mathematical study that is not necessarily connected with any specific computing system), but if you want to do computer security, you need to know computers, inside and out.

- Warren

Also, I'm curious -- how far along are you in your study of computer security and cryptography? I can perhaps provide some book recommendations.

- Warren

TsunamiJoe said:
My wanted career is a field agent for the CIA, which requires both combat training, foreign language, and computer systems knowlage. The combat training and majority of foreign language will be provided by the Army Rangers.

As far as I know, a CIA agent never wants to become one, he gets recruted. There is not sure way to become an agent. You get recruted based on your skills.

Regards,

Nenad

Warren I am reading a textbook that was sent to me by a proffesor, it is on Abstract Algebra, of which I'm understanding completely. Also I'm reading a book called "A book on numbers" its about number theory, of which I'm also understanding completely. Also I'm reading "The Handbook of Applied Cryptography" that again, I'm understanding completely. I am merely in my junior year of high school and I'm taking a C++ course and an Algebra 2 class(which is :( very boring). But Warren any books you feel would help tell me and I'll take my stab at them, I'm exceptionaly good at picking something up and understanding it.

Nenad you are correct, which is why I'm going into the rangers because the CIA recruits from the various military branches. But you can also apply, you go through a screening process to see if they like you, then a knowlage test then a psychological test then if you match to what they want in an agent your pass to go into a training camp which is basicaly boot camp for the CIA where many will drop out few will become actual agents.

I'll suggest "Applied Cryptography" by Schneier, and "Practical Unix and Internet Security" by Garfinkel and Spafford. Both are excellent, widely available books that will give you a good feel for the topics.

- Warren

Also, I should recommend the sci.crypt FAQ:

http://www.cs.uu.nl/wais/html/na-bng/sci.crypt.html

- Warren

thank you, and i checked the site out, and found a copy of "Practical Unix and Internet Security" online for free :), anything else is appreciated

1. What is the difference between MS and BS?

MS stands for Master of Science, while BS stands for Bachelor of Science. MS is a graduate degree that typically takes 2-3 years to complete, while BS is an undergraduate degree that takes 4 years to complete.

2. Can I pursue a MS degree with a BS in a different field?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a MS degree in a different field than your undergraduate degree. However, you may be required to complete prerequisite courses or demonstrate proficiency in the subject area.

3. Is a MS degree more valuable than a BS degree?

It depends on the industry and career path you are pursuing. In some fields, a MS degree may be preferred or required for certain positions or promotions. In other fields, a BS degree may be sufficient. It ultimately comes down to your individual goals and the job market in your chosen field.

4. Can I get a job with just a BS degree?

Yes, a BS degree can be a valuable asset in securing a job in many industries. However, in some fields, a MS degree may be required for certain positions or may lead to higher paying job opportunities.

5. Can I continue my education after completing a BS degree?

Yes, you can continue your education by pursuing a MS degree or other graduate programs such as a PhD. Many universities offer programs for students to continue their education after completing a BS degree.