Understanding the Relationship between dv/dt and vdv/dx in Calculus

• Thread starter Brewer
  • Start date
In summary, the chain rule of differentiation states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function. This can be represented algebraically as dv/dt = vdv/dx, where v is the outer function and x is the inner function. The chain rule is often used to find the rate of change of a quantity with respect to another quantity in a more complex function.
Brewer
I have a question that asks me to write dv/dt as a function of x.

I know that dv/dt = vdv/dx

but I don't know why this is. Could anybody shed some light on this for me? Just so I understand why it is this!

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you hear about the chain rule of differentiation...?

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Did you hear about the chain rule of differentiation...?

Daniel.

yeah that though occurred to me whilst sitting in the car just.

but surely there's another term involved in it isn't there?

No.

[tex] \frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt} [/tex].

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
No.

[tex] \frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt} [/tex].

Daniel.

Of course! What I had in mind was the product rule! Thank you for that - makes so much sense to me now!

1. What is the difference between knowing the answer and understanding why?

Knowing the answer refers to having knowledge or information about something, while understanding why involves comprehending the underlying principles or reasons behind that knowledge.

2. Why is it important to understand the why behind an answer?

Understanding the why allows for a deeper level of comprehension and can lead to new insights and discoveries. It also helps to solidify the information in our minds and allows us to apply it in different situations.

3. How can I improve my understanding of the why behind an answer?

One way to improve understanding is to ask questions and seek out explanations from experts or reliable sources. Additionally, actively engaging in critical thinking and analyzing information can also help to deepen understanding.

4. Is it possible to know the answer without understanding the why behind it?

Yes, it is possible to know the answer without understanding the why. This can occur through memorization or rote learning, but it may not lead to a true understanding of the subject matter.

5. Can the why behind an answer ever change?

Yes, the why behind an answer can change as new information is discovered or as our understanding of a topic evolves. This is why the scientific method involves constant questioning and testing of hypotheses.