1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I know the answer, need help though. :3

1. Jun 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An ice chest at a beach party contains 12 cans of soda at 3.35 °C. Each can of soda has a mass of 0.35 kg and a specific heat capacity of 3800 J/(kg C°). Someone adds a 9.89-kg watermelon at 26.4 °C to the chest. The specific heat capacity of watermelon is nearly the same as that of water. Ignore the specific heat capacity of the chest and determine the final temperature T of the soda and watermelon in degrees Celsius.

Side-note: I believe the the specific heat capacity of water is 4186 J/(kg C°).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm at a loss at how to attempt this equation. I know the answer is 20°C but I really don't understand how to use the equation to obtain it.

My attempt is that heat loss = heat gained but I haven't been able to work it out for myself.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2008 #2

so the final temperature of the system will be approximately 20°C
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?