Solving a "Logical" Error in Fortran/C++ Model

• Thread starter lolay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error
In summary, the programmer is running into an error when compiling their model which looks like it is due to an incorrect use of the logical operator .AND.
lolay
i"logical" error?

Hi all,

I hope you can help me with this. I'm running a long and complicated model (I didn't created it) which is written in both fortran and c++. Both parts of the model are compiled together by using a makefile, and I'm using the GNU compilers for it (gfortran and gcc).

Running the makefile I get this error from the fortran part:

dyn1003-29:Macvs1-fromHPvs2 LLM$ make
gfortran -x f77-cpp-input -o main-std.o -c main.f
main.f:10879.12:

IF (present(pft)==.TRUE.) THEN !.AND.tree(pft)=
Error: Logicals at (1) must be compared with .EQV. instead of .eq.
make: *** [main-std.o] Error 1

Do you have any clue of where this can come from?

Thanks in advance!

Technology news on Phys.org

It looks like the IF ... THEN statement has been joined erroneously with the logical operator .AND.

I would try to rewrite as:
IF (present(pft)==.TRUE.) .AND.tree(pft)= THEN
ENDIF

I don't know what logical condition the programmer was trying to test for with the tree(pft) part of the conditional statement.

Thanks SteamKing,

I can't try it now, but I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I do

Cheers

Slight correction to what SteamKing wrote...
SteamKing said:
It looks like the IF ... THEN statement has been joined erroneously with the logical operator .AND.

I would try to rewrite as:
IF (present(pft)==.TRUE.) .AND. (tree(pft)==<something>) THEN
ENDIF

I don't know what logical condition the programmer was trying to test for with the tree(pft) part of the conditional statement.

That expression, tree(pft)= , can't be valid.

Hi lolay! Welcome to PF!

lolay said:
Code:
        IF (present(pft)==.TRUE.) THEN                  !.AND.tree(pft)=

It looks as if the text after the '!' is supposed to be commented out, especially seeing how it is indented (which shows when you use [ CODE ][ /CODE ] tags :wink:).

Just remove it or prefix it with proper comment symbols.

Note that tree(pft) sounds as if it tests whether "pft" is a "tree".
present(pft)==.TRUE. probably does the same thing.
So we're probably looking at a quick hack or a historical left over.

Hi!

Thanks for all the replies...but, and I´m sorry because I should have deleted it, the part "!.AND.tree(pft)=" is commented in my program, so that shouldn´t be the source of error (it´s just a part that was eventually deleted and left the comment as testimony, as I like Serena said).

The program has actually worked in other computers, so I´m not sure if the problem comes from that statement, unless changing he compilers (from ifort to gfortran) implied a change of rules. Is there any way of knowing where the problem is really coming from, if it´s not due to that statement?

Thanks!

lolay said:
IF (present(pft)==.TRUE.) THEN !.AND.tree(pft)=
Error: Logicals at (1) must be compared with .EQV. instead of .eq.
make: *** [main-std.o] Error 1

It's 35 years since I last programmed in FORTRAN, so I'm a bit rusty, In those days there was no such thing as "==", you had to use ".EQ." instead.

This seems to the problem: your compiler is treating "==" as if it were ".EQ.", but then complaining that it ought to be ".EQV." instead (whatever that is).

I think that DrGreg hit the nail on the head. present(pft) is apparently a boolean expression that is being compared to .TRUE. According to this site, comparisons of boolean expressions should use .EQV. or .NEQV., not .EQ. or .NE.

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.6/g77/Equivalence-Versus-Equality.html

Here's an excerpt from this page:
15.5.5 Equivalence Versus Equality
Use of .EQ. and .NE. on LOGICAL operands is not supported, except via -fugly-logint, which is not recommended except for legacy code (where the behavior expected by the code is assumed).

Legacy code should be changed, as resources permit, to use .EQV. and .NEQV. instead, as these are permitted by the various Fortran standards.

New code should never be written expecting .EQ. or .NE. to work if either of its operands is LOGICAL.

The problem with supporting this “feature” is that there is unlikely to be consensus on how it works, as illustrated by the following sample program:
Code:
     LOGICAL L,M,N
     DATA L,M,N /3*.FALSE./
     IF (L.AND.M.EQ.N) PRINT *,'L.AND.M.EQ.N'
     END
The issue raised by the above sample program is: what is the precedence of .EQ. (and .NE.) when applied to LOGICAL operands?

Hi all!

I finally changed "==" for ".EQV." and seemed to work (now I have other errors, but that one didn't appear again).

Thank you so much!

Cheers

Lolay

What is a "Logical" Error in Fortran/C++ Model?

A "Logical" Error in Fortran/C++ Model is a type of programming error that occurs when the code does not perform the intended logical operations or produces incorrect results due to a flaw in the logic of the program.

How do you identify a "Logical" Error in Fortran/C++ Model?

Identifying a "Logical" Error in Fortran/C++ Model can be challenging, but it often involves carefully reviewing the source code and analyzing the expected output compared to the actual output. Debugging tools and techniques such as print statements, breakpoints, and step-by-step execution can also be helpful in identifying the error.

What are some common causes of "Logical" Errors in Fortran/C++ Model?

There are several potential causes of "Logical" Errors in Fortran/C++ Model, including incorrect variable assignments, incorrect conditional statements, incorrect loop structures, and incorrect algorithm design. It is also possible for these errors to arise from simple typos or syntax mistakes in the code.

How can "Logical" Errors in Fortran/C++ Model be prevented?

To prevent "Logical" Errors in Fortran/C++ Model, it is essential to write well-structured and well-documented code. This includes using meaningful variable names, writing clear and concise comments, and testing the code thoroughly with different inputs and scenarios. It is also helpful to follow best practices and coding standards for the specific programming language.

What are some strategies for fixing "Logical" Errors in Fortran/C++ Model?

Fixing "Logical" Errors in Fortran/C++ Model requires careful analysis and debugging of the code. Some effective strategies for fixing these errors include using debugging tools and techniques, tracing the code step-by-step, and testing small sections of the code at a time. It is also helpful to seek assistance from other programmers or experts in the field if needed.