I lost my calculaor Please calculate this for me

• Thread starter rocomath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost
In summary: If you use Excel make sure the angle is in radians and not degrees. VBA expects radians.This is definitely true! Thanks for the reminder.
rocomath
I lost my calculaor :( Plz calculate this for me!

[tex]\alpha=53.0^{o}[/tex]

[tex]g=9.81\frac{m}{s^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]x=40.0m[/tex]

[tex]y=- 15.0m[/tex]

[tex]v_{0}=\frac{x}{cos{\alpha}}\sqrt{\frac{g}{x\tan{\alpha}-y}}[/tex]

thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
learningphysics said:
I get 25.217
thanks appreciate it!

I got the same thing.

For the record, if you just enter your math into google, it will calculate an answer. It knows various constants as well, such as c, G, h, etc.

TMM said:
I got the same thing.

For the record, if you just enter your math into google, it will calculate an answer. It knows various constants as well, such as c, G, h, etc.
example?

i just typed in, 90 times g and got 90 grams

No calculator -- what are you posting on?

Google has a built in calculator that you can use in a pinch. Not to mention your PC, as J77 implies. (Look into the spreadsheets.)

(I guess I just repeated what TMM already told you. D'oh!)

Last edited:
Doc Al said:
Google has a built in calculator that you can use in a pinch. Not to mention your PC, as J77 implies. (Look into the spreadsheets.)

If you use Excel make sure the angle is in radians and not degrees. VBA expects radians.

Example: =Cos(Radians(53))

rocophysics said:
example?

i just typed in, 90 times g and got 90 grams

You need to capitalize constants that are normally capitalized, especially when they share letters with units. I don't think it knows g for this reason, since G is the gravitational constant and g is grams.

if you have a pc go through the start menu -> programs -> accessories -> calculator
select view -> scientific for more options
if you have a mac there should just be a pic of a calculator on the desktop

faoltaem said:
if you have a pc go through the start menu -> programs -> accessories -> calculator
select view -> scientific for more options

I had no idea about the scientific view! Thanks!

learningphysics said:
I had no idea about the scientific view!
Me neither. Cool!

good news! i got my calc back today, lol. someone took it by accident, but i spent like 165 on the TI-89 today so ima have to return it and buy it later for cheaper. that calculator is freakn awesome tho ... i was like putting the craziest and longest integrals and seeing if it could solve it, lol. amazing.

anyways, thanks for all the input. if i find myself w/o a calculator again i'll use google and my windows-calc.

1. Where did you lose your calculator?

I'm not sure where I lost my calculator. I have retraced my steps and cannot find it.

2. Can you still do the calculation without your calculator?

Yes, I am able to do the calculation without my calculator. I am a scientist and am trained to perform mathematical calculations without the use of a calculator.

3. How accurate will the calculation be without a calculator?

The accuracy of the calculation will depend on the complexity of the problem and the skill of the person performing the calculation. In general, without a calculator, the calculation may not be as precise as it would be with a calculator.

4. Can you use a different calculator to do the calculation?

Yes, I can use a different calculator to do the calculation. However, the answer may differ slightly as different calculators may have different levels of precision.

5. How long will it take to do the calculation without a calculator?

The time it takes to do the calculation without a calculator will depend on the complexity of the problem and the skill of the person performing the calculation. It may take longer than it would with a calculator, but it is still possible to accurately complete the calculation without one.