I love biology but I have a weak memory

In summary: This helped me a lot because I could mentally go through the muscle names, points of insertion, etc, and I could do it quickly and easily on the test.In summary, the author suggests using note cards, a structure, and Mnemonics to help remember information.
Skhandelwal
Hey guys,
I don't know what I should do. I mean I love biology...but its just that I have tried those methods which are suppose to make memorization easier for you but it still is pretty hard(relating the word to your senses or memory). What do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
keep reading and read a lot! i had the same problem and now I'm using the memory capacity I've gained through biology and using it for all the other sciences ... i hate biol now :-D

it took me a yr to gain, keep at it.

Keep at it. I found the following tips very helpful when trying to memorize a big amount of info:

- I usually write out the material as I read it. Not word for word. Somehow it just sticks.
- If you have a mic for your computer, record the important stuff and put it on your ipod(or w.e.) and listen to it whenever you get the chance.
- I didn’t like making study cards so I used power point. You can time the speed of the slides which forces you to think and recall information faster. Start out slow and work your way up.

Do you like to draw? I did a lot of drawing and diagramming when studying for biology classes. I can usually remember a picture of how a process works better than a list of steps alone. I have this four-color pen that I use when taking notes and studying. It's great to have the red and blue inks when you're diagramming things like the path of blood through the heart. The bonus for me is that drawing is fun, so I don't feel like I am studying when I am doing it. I've noticed that many of the first year neuroscience students at my school use a "brain coloring book" to get familiar with the anatomy. There's one teacher who even requires it!

For the unfamiliar terminology, it's really helpful to look up the meaning of the term and the Latin or Greek root. Once you know why something is called what it is, it is much easier to remember. In fact, I think the best textbooks are the ones that give you that info when a new term is introduced. It's often very easy, because you can relate it to an English word that has the same root.

Mnemonics can be very helpful, also, especially if you need to remember something that has an order. You can make them up yourself and the goofier they are, the better. Or you can google for them and find plenty available. I would never have remembered the cranial nerves if it weren't for "On Old Olympic Towering Tops, A Finn And German Viewed Some Hops". :smile:

do you know the lyrics to any songs? you can learn anything you try to.

I use a variety of active learning techniques. I can read the same chapter 100 times and NEVER remember it. No one technique is sufficient but used together I get A's.

Examples include:

Typing up AND writing out lecture notes. If you can be accurate, put things in your own words.

making and using note cards. These are good to study when you're too tired to do anything else, or have spare time at work.

verbally repeating facts

Once I have something down solid, I reinforce it by literally thinking it out in my head several times during other menial activities such as driving, washing dishes or showering. This is good for biological processes.

But the thing is, when I try this hard to succeed at memorization, I can't enjoy the fascinating parts of biology... so why would I take biology anyways if I am going to end up hating it b/c of all the unnecessary memorization.(I don't plan to major to get a job, although I will, but to have fun w/ it)

because bio is a great subject and is very fascinating. yea you may think is is hard and you are going to fail it. but come on! just do it and enjoy it!
same question here y do you eat when you know you are going to pass it out??
so? just go for it!

If you're just looking for raw memorization techniques (not involving concepts or processes), then I can probably help you. I can point you to a wide variety of easy and effective memorization techniques.

- Warren

as a teacher i found writing up stuff helped a lot. that is why i wrote my first algebra book. i just wanted to do a good job of teaching it.

When I took Human Anatomy, I created a structure that I memorized for each muscle we had to know for each test. The structure was something like

Muscle name
Insertion bone
Insertion bone point or points
Attachment bone
Attachment bone point or points (in alphabetic order)
Nerve
Etc...

Once I divided everything up this way, I went through and made up funny, dirty, obnoxious stories using the first letter of each word. So if I had the letters A, S, J, I, T, C, F, and P, I would come up with something like:

"Amy Screwed John in the chocolate filled pool"

I've used this system extensively in every other class that required memorizing vast amounts of information and it's worked like a charm.

i also went from being unsure about how to teach algebra to being an expert at least on the basics.

so just keep practising and you will get it in the end! that is the main point!

1. Why is having a good memory important in biology?

In biology, there is a vast amount of information to remember, from scientific terms and processes to complex concepts and theories. Having a good memory allows you to recall this information quickly and accurately, which is crucial in understanding and applying biological concepts.

2. What can I do to improve my memory in biology?

There are several techniques you can use to improve your memory in biology, such as creating visual aids, using mnemonic devices, practicing active learning, and regularly reviewing and summarizing information. It's also essential to get enough rest and avoid distractions while studying.

3. How can I retain information better in biology?

To retain information better in biology, it's helpful to make connections between different concepts, use real-life examples to understand complex ideas, and actively engage with the material through quizzes, discussions, or hands-on activities. Repeating and revising information regularly can also aid in retention.

4. Is having a weak memory a barrier to pursuing a career in biology?

Having a weak memory does not necessarily mean that you cannot pursue a career in biology. While it may be more challenging, there are strategies you can use to improve your memory and succeed in the field. Additionally, there are various roles in biology that may not require as much memorization, such as lab work or data analysis.

5. Can I still be successful in biology even if I have a weak memory?

Yes, having a weak memory does not determine your success in biology. Many successful biologists have overcome memory challenges by developing effective study habits, seeking support from peers and mentors, and finding alternative ways to understand and retain information. It's essential to focus on your strengths and use techniques that work best for you.