Big Wind Tunnels - It's Not Everyday

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wind
In summary: Mach models would have been too expensive to build and test.Interesting. Have you ever done any testing on a model with a wingspan of over 100 feet?No, but I'm sure it would be feasible.
Cyrus
Mmmmmmmmmmmm yeah.... not everyday you get to use one of these.

I'll post more pictures once we start running wind tunnel tests. I'm 6'4", each red blade is as tall as I am.

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/1333/pict0389.jpg

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2746/pict0388v.jpg

Relative size (not me)

charles-geisbert-fan.png

F-18 in said tunnel (not our model)
F18-bm.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That is awesome! How cool is that?!??

nice, just don't stick your hand in there

That's a pretty bad *** wind tunnel. All the wind tunnels I used to work with were to so lame.

On a side note, has anyone ever seen the wind tunnel they used to develop the A380?

Yeah but can you set it to suck?

nice!

(a word of caution: as tempting as it may be, I don't think it's safe to speak into it and do the "electric fan robot voice" with this one)

Cool machine, Cyrus!

What's the max wind speed?

BTW, did I mention that I've signed you up for ABC's Bachelor TV show? :biggrin: You can use your dating expertise!

Very cool Cyrus. Have you guys run an Avro Aero (original 1950s CDN jet fighter shut down by Eisenhower as a threat to US security) in there?! I wonder how it would fair in such a modern wind tunnel. Dig your job man!

Fast enough for you? We topped off at about 205mph.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/663/pict0397l.jpg

Ffkg1G-g3Gg&feature=channel_page[/y...he CNC machine making and painting the model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, it is good to see a bunch of nerds who get just as excited about stuff like that as I do. :biggrin:

Cool, Cyrus! Next we want to see you in the tunnel at 205. :biggrin:

Cyrus said:
We spent nearly a month on the CNC machine making and painting the model.

Did you guys design this?

Ivan Seeking said:
Cool, Cyrus! Next we want to see you in the tunnel at 205. :biggrin:

Did you guys design this?

The model is by a company I work for called American Dynamics. They designed it and I helped them make it in-house.

Very cool!

Especially how your interest in model planes has led straight to this...really great, and probably pretty unusual. Fantastic!

That is a very cool model Cyrus. The stealth aspects of it are interesting. Just curious, How do you test it at higher speeds. Are these tests just used to make sure it can take off and land?

I think the only your job could be more fun is if your wind tunnel were vertical and you could take breaks and "fly" in it!

moe darklight said:
nice!

(a word of caution: as tempting as it may be, I don't think it's safe to speak into it and do the "electric fan robot voice" with this one)

:rofl:

I didn't think of that! With a megaphone, you could make yourself sound like a 200-ft tall Darth Vader.

Do it do it do it do it do it.

baywax said:
Very cool Cyrus. Have you guys run an Avro Aero (original 1950s CDN jet fighter shut down by Eisenhower as a threat to US security) in there?! I wonder how it would fair in such a modern wind tunnel. Dig your job man!

Have I got a link for you.

http://www.avroarrow.org/Jim Floyd/JamesFloydRAeS10.html

I hope you're not showing us any classified information!

Is it loud, or does it run quietly?

When was the last significant advance in air tunnel design?

That looks like a LOT of fun, Cyrus! Glad you're enjoying what you're doing. :)

awesome looking model, so sleek! Cool stuff Cyrus

Looks impressive, but aren't you concerned that there will be a significant loss of trust and engine stalls at high angle of attacks (high g/low speed) conditions? Obviously, the inlet is being shielded off by the nose section then.

Perhaps you have thought of an auxillary inlet underneath, opening in those conditions.

Last edited:
baywax said:
It would have fared just fine since the aircraft did pretty well in its flight testing and did not have any really aerodynamic issues (there were plenty of others though). By the way, we have had subsonic tunnels like this since before WWII. That is the only kind of tunnel Avro would have had at their disposal. They did some higher Mach testing with scaled models on missiles.

That is only a theory as to why it was discontinued. There are a lot of theories out there. Don't get Danger and myself started...

Why bring up the CF-105? It's just a bit off topic.

Andre said:
Looks impressive, but aren't you concerned that there will be a significant loss of trust and engine stalls at high angle of attacks (high g/low speed) conditions? Obviously, the inlet is being shielded off by the nose section then.

Perhaps you have thought of an auxillary inlet underneath, opening in those conditions.
I feel sorry for the powerplant provider. It looks like they'll have some serious inlet distortion to deal with. Perhaps the vehicle won't be experiencing real hard maneuvering.

Go Terps!

Awesome. But Raiders of the Lost Ark immediately comes to mind...the Flying Wing scene I mean.

So, yes, you'll definitely not want to get too close to those fan blades. Might end up like this guy...

trivia_08.jpg

Very nice.

Is that you behind the smoke emitting machine (ok, what do you really call it?)?

lisab said:
Very nice.

Is that you behind the smoke emitting machine (ok, what do you really call it?)?

It's called a smoke wand.

Cyrus said:
It's called a wand.

Oh, that's magical :wink: .

Oh yeah, and the blades in the wind tunnel. I found out they are from a B-29! The fan unit is powered by 2000HP and costs about $900/hr to run. We've got about $50k worth of time (2-weeks).

B-29%20frontal%205-15-44.jpg

Make sure the building is well anchored!

Cyrus the virus, you are a big NERD! Haha, seriously, this is redic that you're posting this stuff everywhere. You are hilarious.

Damn straight. BTW, she works at the company and she loves penguins...