Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I LOVE my mother ing computer !

1. Mar 16, 2005 #1
    I LOVE my mother****ing computer!!!!!!

So I bought this computer about 3.5 years ago, and bought a three year warantee on it.

3 weeks ago, the harddrive just dies and I have to have it replaced, conviniently right after the damn warantee expires.

Then, last week, my computer stops reading CD's, and after all the troubleshooting I've done, nothing has been able to resolve it.

Now, just today, my computer tells me I have a bad audio driver, and I can no longer play audio on my computer.

Should I just get rid of this piece of crap, even though I just spent like $120 for a new hard drive + installation? Should I like salvage the harddrive and ditch the rest? Should I keep throwing more and more money into this piece of crap that seems to be designed to only last just as long as the warantee does?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2005 #2
    Save your money and get a new one. Keep the hard drive

4. Mar 16, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That would be my vote. It never hurts to have a second hard drive if you get a new computer.

5. Mar 16, 2005 #4
    Plus, the files that he's deleted in the hard drive can still be recovered if he decides to sell the system. But I'm sure you don't have anything more than G-rated in it :wink:

6. Mar 16, 2005 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That kind of sucks.

We had a pentium I, which we probably still have, and it is still going strong. It has made by some guy in a computer store.

Go laptop. :D

7. Mar 16, 2005 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It sux, but a 3.5 year old computer is getting a bit old, they age in dog years, it's a bout 21 years old for a computer.

It might be time to start looking for a new one. Hey, you can probably sell your old one on E-Bay for $20.

8. Mar 16, 2005 #7
    Its always sad to see a old friend go. But yes, its time to just "let go".
    A friend made Holiday ornaments from parts of his, and I hear they make a dandy cat box.

9. Mar 16, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Hmm...with that WoW thread going, the competition is close, but this just might win the geek of the week award! :biggrin:

The Great Carnac says, the question is, "If Martha Stewart and Bill Gates had children together, what would their arts and crafts project be?"

10. Mar 16, 2005 #9
    Let go, man. I'm not gonna tell you to build your own, but you certainly can replace a hard drive on your own. It's completely intuitive, you don't even need any experience.

11. Mar 17, 2005 #10

Danger

Gold Member

Hi;
    I'm just starting to suspect that I'm surrounded by people who don't have real computers. "Pentium"? Throw it in the harbour behind your boat where it belongs and become one of we one-button folks. Get a freakin' Mac and join the future.

12. Mar 17, 2005 #11

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

13. Mar 17, 2005 #12

Danger

Gold Member

Hey Noggie, noggie;
    Nice attempt at distraction with that link, but whatever the "Shuttle" us probably can't compete with a dual processor 2gHz G5. (I ain't got one, but it is in my future.)

14. Mar 17, 2005 #13

Danger

Gold Member

Why don't this damned thing have spell-check. 'us' is supposed to be 'is' in the preceding.

15. Mar 17, 2005 #14

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Fact of life - in 3+ years, MS Windows OS (really the registry) will eventually get corrupted.

Hard-drives eventually will get damaged - lost or damage sectors. This is more likely if one has a single HD on which one writes a lot of data. The heads can wear out.

My company has a policy.

At least 2 HDs: One is the prime HD (at least 40 GB) with OS and applications, the other is the data storage HD (at least 80 GB, preferably 120 GB) for library and project information. The data storage HD is the one that gets most of the writing. An external HD for backup is optional.

I manage a satellite office, and I have at least on PC with 3 drive bays: prime HD with OS and apps, and the other 2 drives (80 GB, 120 GB) as back up.

So why 3 HD's?

We clone our prime HD's so that if one crashes, we have a carbon copy with OS and applications. The clone is stored in a secure place. If the prime HD crashes - we have instant recovery. :smile:

Look at PowerQuest (www.powerquest.com, now part of Symantec) - DriveImage and PartitionMagic - applications for HD management.

The data HD's are simply backed up.

Also, all our HD's are removable (we use InClose docks and bays).
    Example (http://neoseeker.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=435784/).

This policy has saved us many times.

16. Mar 17, 2005 #15

graphic7

Gold Member

You can always do a low-level format, which will plaster the drive with zeroes; therefore, making it impossible to recover anything (nothing is there, regardless). For IDE hard drives (which I'll assume is what he has), there are a few utilities on CDs and a few on floppies. I'm sure Symantec has something out there to do this - nothing a simple Google search can't fix.

17. Mar 17, 2005 #16

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Ditch it. However, please don't simply put it on the curb for the trash. Try your best to get it to a rectcling facility that accepts old PCs.

18. Mar 17, 2005 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've never tried it with a computer (I seem to become too attached to actually throw them away), but I've always found a good way to recycle almost anything else that's in any way still useable is to put it on the curb with a big sign that reads: FREE. Everything I've ever done that with has been gone long before the trash was picked up. :biggrin: This would probably work if you live around a university where geeks will scavenge anything for parts.

19. Mar 17, 2005 #18
    Or, in some cases, they enjoy throwing old computers off buildings (yes, I know people who do this).

20. Mar 17, 2005 #19

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here our old PCs get sent away to schools in Africa. Bonus.

21. Mar 17, 2005 #20

Danger

Gold Member

Here there are programmes that distribute them to our schools as well. All drives wiped, of course. Considering our government's budget for education, it certainly helps. Off to work now, where I have to use a stupid Windows machine. Oh, the shame...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?