Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I love Salmon Burgers

1. Jan 4, 2013 #1
    I love burgers but over the past few years I've been making an effort to minimize my consumption of beef. Within the last few weeks I've been buying salmon burgers. I thought at first it would be gross and fishy, but I was wrong. They cook up fast and with just a bit of tartar sauce they are delicious and nutritious. I've been buying the Trident brand. Anyone else eat these things? :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2013 #2
    Sounds gross and fishy.

4. Jan 4, 2013 #3
    haha it's sooo good. Making one right now :)

5. Jan 4, 2013 #4
    My wife cooks salmon steaks, very tasty. Also salmon head soup with tofu and ginger. I've never had salmon burgers though. Is that ground up fish product?

6. Jan 4, 2013 #5
  7. Jan 4, 2013 #6

trollcast

Gold Member

Are salmon burgers not just like fishcakes?

8. Jan 4, 2013 #7
    That reminds me when I was looking at the lobsters clamoring over each other and picking out just the right ones. The woman next to me asked the clerk "Are these fresh?"

9. Jan 4, 2013 #8

turbo

Gold Member

I hate to suggest ruining good tuna steaks this way, but tuna-burger made out of fresh steaks could be really good. I love to grill tuna steaks, so there is no way I'm going to grind them up to try it out.

BTW, I like to get decent char/grill marks on each side of the steaks, then bring them in for supper. It really doesn't matter if they are rare inside (for my wife and me) because we both like tuna sushi.

10. Jan 4, 2013 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We keep a bag frozen salmon burgers for those times when we're running late or just too tired to cook. They're good!

11. Jan 4, 2013 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Those sound awesome, even the ingredient list is tops. No fillers, no preservatives.

Unfortunately the website says

12. Jan 4, 2013 #11
    Might I also recommend an almond burger (topped with some tomatoes, sprouts and dijon mustard). I first had one after going to lunch with a vegetarian friend (as much of a friend as a vegetarian can be, anyway) and it was wonderful.

13. Jan 4, 2013 #12
    hmmm I just bought a pack at my local grocery store yesterday. I bet Costco is just stopping.

14. Jan 4, 2013 #13
    Never been a big fan of seafood (the only thing that swims that I'll eat is shrimp, but I need to try crab cakes,) but I'm sure they're delicious (not that I'd find them such, but, again, not a big fan of seafood.)

Has anyone tried grass-fed hamburgers? So much better than the others, but that could be a placebo thing.

15. Jan 4, 2013 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Buy them all!!!

Everytime I find something I love they stop making them. :frown:

16. Jan 4, 2013 #15
    We keep them in the freezer for the same reason and for when the grand children show up unexpectedly.

A while back my wife and I were at an Albertsons grocery store here in Tucson. My wife asked the guy behind the counter where their salmon came from. He replied: "A warehouse in Phoenix".

17. Jan 4, 2013 #16
    Grass-fed is the best quality. Cattle are natural grazers. In the feed lots they are fed corn. Corn is not a natural food for cattle.

18. Jan 4, 2013 #17

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

19. Jan 4, 2013 #18

turbo

Gold Member

The nearest beef-producer is a farm that raises only Angus cattle, and their cattle are grass-fed. Yum!

We can't yet get that equivalent in seafood, though, but salmon-steaks sound good. There is a thriving salmon industry on Maine's coast, and the processors probably have enough scraps and trimmings to make burgers out of them. I might have to ask my wife to check around.

20. Jan 4, 2013 #19

drizzle

Gold Member

Hmm, never tried it. Is there any restaurant that you go to for their salmon burger?

21. Jan 4, 2013 #20

drizzle

Gold Member

... This is photoshopped.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook