Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I love sears

1. Jul 29, 2006 #1
    I love sears. I went there today and bought a bench vise. (craftsman) I want to buy all their tools :!!)

I also went to the hobby shop and bought 7 small precision screw drivers for $30.00, made in germany (wiha tools) :!!) [​IMG]

You can never have enough tools. :tongue:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2006 #2

turbo

Gold Member

If you pay extra for the Craftsman designation, you will have a lifetime replacement guarantee. I don't necessarily do this for things like sockets, but I certainly do for the racheting socket wrenches that drive them. Last fall, my 30-year-old 1/2" drive Craftsman socket wrench failed while I was driving big carriage bolts to build a tree stand. I took it to the local Sears store and the manager handed me a new one, with no questions, no forms to sign (take that, Wal-Mart) and no fuss. In less than a minute I was back out of the store with a new wrench. They often put screwdriver sets on sale as loss-leaders, but get to the sale early because supplies are usually VERY limited. I went to the Sears store to get 13" Michelin tires for my wife's Civic years ago and I got there when the store opened, only to have the manager tell me that they were sold out. I told her that if she didn't want to have a date with the Attorney General, she would have a set available to me at the sale price before the end of the week. She did. Watch closely for the "bait and switch" and complain loudly and publicly, and you will get the sales price.

4. Jul 29, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

And I make pointless threads...

5. Jul 29, 2006 #4
    You're a tool. This thread is for men, what are you doing here? Go back to your cooking, woman.

6. Jul 29, 2006 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Why would you not want a tool in your thread about tools for one. Two, shut up, im staying.

7. Jul 29, 2006 #6
    Well, if your going to stay, go make me some food, woman.

8. Jul 29, 2006 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You have a servant, why are you telling me to.

Get over here and do your job yomamma.

9. Jul 29, 2006 #8

wolram

Gold Member

Choke, choke, i have to agree with you Syrus (am i nuts) you can not have enough tools, i have some older than me :surprised many of my tools are customised for one only jobs, but come in handy for others, the socket set is the back bone with many additional extentions knuckels reducers etc, etc.
    I still have several solid copper soldering irons that belonged to my grandad all different shapes and sizes, still very usefull for fixing car radiators in situ or other heavy jobs.

Oh if you want good tools buy snap on or parax.

10. Jul 29, 2006 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Snap-On tools are great, but IMO, often not worth the extra cost. I tended to buy Snap-On for specialty or high precision tools, and craftsman for everything else.

When I was 19 and bought the biggest tool set that craftsman sold [cost about 15% of my yearly income then], I felt like a kid in a candy store. They were all so pretty. :biggrin:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  11. Jul 29, 2006 #10
    Man, I saw in their catalog their "biggest set" its like a 2k piece set and costs somewhere like 5-6 grand!....worth every penny.

But being realistic, that's for someone who wants to own a shop.

Yep, snap-on are good tools. Better than craftsman.

12. Jul 29, 2006 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A shop or a professional.

Some of it was a waste. They threw in all of these funky fit-all thingies that never really worked very well. But with the price break per tool, it was still a better option than buying tools individually. And I had the slickest standard/metric/course/fine tap and die set of anyone I knew.

13. Jul 29, 2006 #12

wolram

Gold Member

When you work in the car repair trade having the right tool can save hours
    and make one mega bucks, i am sure Ivan will know that a 50$ tool can save
    houres of frustration.

14. Jul 29, 2006 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wolram, i would bet that you've made a few of your own tools for special jobs?

15. Jul 29, 2006 #14

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I had the money, I wouldn't buy taps or dies made from anyone but Irwin-Hanson. But then, I didn't even know that Craftsman made tap sets.

16. Jul 29, 2006 #15
    Agree. Sears totally rocks as a tool shop. So much good stuff, and sometimes even good discounts :) My father bought and still buys his tools at sears.

17. Jul 29, 2006 #16

wolram

Gold Member

Well for sure, as i all most know you have, a 4ft long tap extention to reclaim a thread in the bowles of a machine, that otherwise would have ment a major strip down, many of my screw drivers are tailored to certain jobs, and many of my spanners have unusual bends and ground edges, some times thinking of how to adapt a tool to do a specific job can save a company
    1000s of $ in down time.

18. Jul 29, 2006 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, likewise, everyone wanted to own Snap-On, but at three times the price it just wasn't worth it for most people. With craftsman's lifetime warranty it's hard to justify the extra bucks.

19. Jul 29, 2006 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just love the Craftsman lifetime warranty!!!! :biggrin: They don't ask any questions when I return a screwdriver with a melted handle because it went through the autoclave (some plastics are autoclavable, but not the kind the screwdriver handles are made out of...we were in a pinch and needed a screwdriver for a surgical procedure without the time to buy an all metal one...it didn't melt TOO badly o:)).

They also didn't ask questions when the vet brought in the pruning shears (what Evo calls "loppers") covered in dried blood and with a broken handle (then again, maybe nobody would ask questions under those circumstances :uhh:)...the vet used them as rib cutters during necropsies.

20. Jul 29, 2006 #19

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I will buy Craftsman hand tools but I will never buy their power tools. They are garbage and of course do not get the warranty.

21. Jul 29, 2006 #20

JamesU

Gold Member

I have no job, I have other things to do...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?