My First Time Stuck in a Parking Lot: It Was Fun!

In summary, the author was driving in Albuquerque when it snowed and it was his first time experiencing that. He enjoyed it and misses the snow.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I actually managed to get my Jeep stuck last night ... in a parking lot, no less. That's the first time I've ever managed to get stuck.

It was hard to gauge the depth of the snow in an unplowed lot, and I wound up a little too close to the building where the snow was a little deeper. That light powdery stuff compresses pretty well under the tires, but not so well when the pressure is spread out over the entire bottom of the Jeep.

It was fun! Would have been a lot more fun if I had a shovel to dig the snow out from under the chasis instead of an ice scraper, but hey, you can't have everything. :rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
BobG said:
I actually managed to get my Jeep stuck last night ...
You were driving last night??!:bugeye: Was it an emergency?

Last edited:
Incidentally Bob - and I don't mean to derail the thread - you wouldn't happen to know what the weather in the Denver area's going to be like in early March, would you?

When I lived in upstate NY, I kept a shovel in the back, along with a couple of boards incase I got stuck.

You must be in hog heaven with all that snow! :biggrin:

Gokul43201 said:
Incidentally Bob - and I don't mean to derail the thread - you wouldn't happen to know what the weather in the Denver area's going to be like in early March, would you?

You're kidding, right?

In March, it could be 76 or it could be 25. We could have both the same week (and that's whether you're talking about the weather or the interstates in town). We're more likely to have a blizzard in Spring or Fall than we are in the Winter, but, on the plus side, the snow melts in a day or two in the Spring or Fall.

In other words, you'd have to be pretty unlucky and want to arrive right in the middle of the blizzard for it to affect you.

Being at the foot of the front range, the weather's very unpredictable. Fronts can stall on the other side of the mountain or they can reach us early. Predicting the weather around here, especially in Spring or Fall, isn't much more than a guess.

Gokul43201 said:
You were driving last night??!:bugeye: Was it an emergency?

Yes. I thought I had a class last night. Evidently no one showed up during the day to update their website, which just said DAY classes were canceled.

First clue that class wasn't being held was the fact that no one had plowed the parking lot, hence being tempted with the irresistable temptation of an empty, snow swept parking lot.

Someday, I got to grow up.

The system that made all the snow for you, is here in the form of rain:mad: Looks like no white Christmas for us here in Michigan.

Snow was up to our mailbox by Thursday morning, the highways were closed and the state was declared a disaster area, but my employer sent out an email saying we were open for business yesterday. You got to love the working world.

It's raining here today! AMAZING! Hasnt rained in forever

BobG said:
You're kidding, right?
Yes I am - kinda.

This bit, in a thread in GD, should have tipped you off:
...and I don't mean to derail the thread...

The upcoming APS March Meeting is in Denver, and ... I hate snow! Places should have snow quotas - once you've met your snowfall quota for the season, you're not allowed anymore snow! There ought to be a law to regulate these things; you can't just let the weather behave any which way it wants.

I'm not a fan of snow either, but I miss it in some ways. When I was a kid, my father and I had a tradition that we always upheld when it snowed. We would set out at dusk in his big truck, with a tow-rope, gas cans, water, and food, and we'd drive around the boondocks, pulling people's cars out of ditches and getting them back on the road. One night, we pulled more than 20 cars out of ditches! :bugeye:

It was lot of fun for a kid, that's for sure. Sometimes my dad even let me work the truck (which amounted to pressing the gas pedal gently) while he steered the marooned vehicle out of the ditch.

- Warren

We got about 6 inches of snow here in Albuquerque! I made a snowman and a snowwomen :smile:

wow is it snowing over there? wish it would snow here, its just cold and foggy.

While the temperatures are low enough, not a trace of snow on my German mountain. Last year, snow was between one and two feet just before Christmas. There is unusual strong upper south westerly airflow here witholding the snow.

I miss big snow storms, lots of snow and the mayor telling everyone to stay home and have a cold one. As far as I'm concerned if you can see the grass all year you can't claim it is winter.

What is this s-n-o-w you keep referring to?

Yonoz said:
What is this s-n-o-w you keep referring to?
White, cold, made of water, falls from sky...

Anttech said:
White, cold, made of water, falls from sky...
Oh - we call that "acid rain".

Yonoz said:
Oh - we call that "acid rain".
White? That's a lot of sodium.

1. What caused you to get stuck in the parking lot?

I accidentally parked too close to another car and couldn't open my door.

2. How did you pass the time while stuck in the parking lot?

I listened to music, read a book, and played games on my phone.

3. Did anyone try to help you while you were stuck?

Yes, a kind stranger noticed my predicament and offered to help me maneuver my car out of the tight spot.

4. Did being stuck in the parking lot affect your plans for the day?

It did delay my plans a bit, but I ended up having a fun and unexpected adventure.

5. Would you consider getting stuck in a parking lot again?

While it wasn't ideal, I would definitely do it again if it meant having a fun and memorable experience like this one.