1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I.M Gelfand Trig Help

1. Aug 24, 2011 #1
    Hey guys,

I'm currently a freshman at my local community college. I felt the need to solidify my foundation in Trig so I am currently doing a self-study course.

The question is from I.M Gelfand's book on Trigonometry. Chapter 0, page 9, exercise 8.

8) Two points, A and B, are given in the plane. Describe the set of points for which AX^2-BX^2 is constant.

The chapter focuses on right triangles and Pythagorean theorem. Dunno if this will help but I think exercise 7 was given as a hint to solve exercise 8:

Two points, A and B, are given in the plane. Describe the set of points X such that AX^2+BX^2=AB^2.

The book gave the answer: "A circle with its center at the midpoint AB".

I understood exercise 7 after a couple of minutes, but exercise 8 is making me pull hairs!

My attempt at the solution was to manipulate AX^2-BX^2 and get rid of the negative sign.....But even if it could be done, dunno how much help it would give me.

I'm not looking for complete answers -just a small hint. Can't spend 5 hours a day on one problem but don't wanna forfeit thinking opportunities either.

P.S I dunno why, but I keep thinking this equation represents a rectangle of sorts.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Are you sure this is how the problem is phrased? A point in the plane has two coordinates, so I don't understand what AX^2 means in this context.

4. Aug 25, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I suspect that "AX" means the distance from A to X so that we are asking for the set of all points, X, such that the distance for A to X, squared, minus the distance from B to X, squared, is equal to the distance from A to B, squared.

Take [itex]X= (x_X, y_X)[/itex], [itex]A= (x_A, y_A)[/itex], and [itex]B= (x_B, yb_)[/tex]. Then the equation is
    [tex](x_X- x_A)^2+ (y_X- y_A)^2- (x_X- x_B)^2- (y_X- y_B)^2= (x_A- x_B)^2+ (y_A- y_B)^2[/tex]

Multiply those out and cancel as much as you can.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook