How do I cope with the loss of my beloved cat?

• Thread starter fargoth
  • Start date
In summary, our cat died last week at the age of 16 and a half. She was loved and appreciated by all who knew her. Her death is a sad reminder of the importance of having a cat in our lives.
fargoth
she died last week at the age of 16 and a half.
i don't even remember how it was before she was there, she always came to sleep in my bad, and walked over my keyboard when i ignored her because i used the computer...

she died peacefully, she just lay in a sleeping position, breathing comfortably, and never got up again.

i just saw this movie while browsing: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=70423446378227413&q=genre%3Acomedy

and it reminded me how much i miss her.

i smiled through the whole movie... so many good memories.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Be gratefulthat your life was enriched by her presence

RIP, dear kitty. :frown:

My condolensces to you over the loss of your cat.

One of our cats died about 18 months ago. She would also come to bed with us, particularly in winter time and she slept by my side. She would also ride on my shoulders.

Our male cat Chester sleeps by my side or on my chest if I am lying on my back. He also like to rub noses or nuzzle with my face. At breakfast time he paces back and forth on the bed, meowing, until I get up and fed him and our other cat, Misty. Misty sometimes comes to bed with us, but she mostly sleeps on my daughters bed. Misty comes to wake me up as well. She likes to smooch too. Misty also comes to me for vigorous back rubs, in which she stand ups with her front paws on my thigh while I give her a nice firm back rub. First cat whom I've met who does that. Most cats prefer gentle contact, although one of my friends has a cat who likes a good belly rub.

I'm sad to hear about the loss of your cat. :frown: Sounds like she was loved. :smile:

fargoth, there is no shortage of cat lovers here. Frankly, I like my cats better than I like most people. :biggrin:

Sorry about your kitty.

It's hard. It's really, really hard. I miss my kitties that have passed on, too. I miss them every day. And then sometimes I think to myself, it's not worth the trouble and sadness to have them in my life. It is too painful when they go. But then the next one comes along, and how can you say no! This poem describes it well:

Oh what unhappy twist of fate
Has brought you homeless to my gate,
The gate where once another stood
To beg for shelter warmth and food?

For from that day I ceased to be
The master of my destiny,
While she, with purr and velvet paw
Became within my house the law.

She scratched the furniture and shed
And claimed the middle of my bed,
She ruled in arrogance and pride
And broke my heart the day she died.

So if you really think, oh cat
I'd willingly relive all that,
Because you come forlorn and thin
Well don't just stand there - come on in!

~Author Unknown~

They bring so much to our lives and ask for so little. Each one has been a special unique little friend that I will treasure forever. I understand how much you miss her.

Now you made me cry MIH.

Oh man reminds me of this:

Meditations on Turning Eight
by Lisa Simpson

I had a cat named Snowball
She died! She died!
Mom said she was sleeping
She lied! She lied!
Why oh why is my cat dead?
Couldn't that Chrysler hit me instead?

and this

Lisa: I'm keeping you! You're Snowball V. But to save money on a new dish, we'll just call you Snowball II and pretend this whole thing never happened.
Skinner: That's really a cheat, isn't it.
Lisa: I guess you're right, Principal Tanzarian.
Skinner: I'll just be moving along, Lisa... Snowball II.

http://www.capefeare.com/wingding.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I lost my cat a few months ago, he was two and I think he got hit by a car, found him dead one morning. I only knew him two years, but what he brought to me personally was easilly worth ten. I have always had a cat and sometimes dogs, anyone who says they aren't a member of the familly has no idea. I'm with you on this one forgoth.

Sorry to hear it, fargoth. I had my last cat for 10 years (he died on his 20th birthday, within a day or so), and the one before that for 15, so I know how you feel.
And Astro, current cat Lucy likes it rough as well. She doesn't mind being petted, but just loves to be thumped gently and have her fur ruffled.

Im sorry *hugs* I dread the day my cat goes too! She is getting older she is probably 12 or so years old. I love her so much and it would be a death like a grandma or grandpa (which i don't have any left :P)

Draw your cat! Write poems about your cat! itll help ease the pain

thank you all very much.

yeah, i noticed this forum was a cat lover's forum :biggrin:

MIH, i liked that poem, its very touching, my family wants to get a new cat, and i told them i don't want a "replacement".
but your song made me see it in a different light.

cyrus, that last lisa quote was really good.

danger, did you say your cat made it to the age of 20? - that's remarkable!

and astronuc, i had two cats, the one who's still alive is her daughter (she's 13), and she likes it when you stroke her very hard, she actually leans on you when you stroke her.
its pretty funny, because if you stop stroking her suddenly, she falls :biggrin:

oh, and kokoro, thanks for the hug :biggrin: i think i will draw her, it has been a while since i drawn anything, thanks for giving me that idea.and again, thank you all for your sympathy (even those i haven't mantioned expliciltly :tongue2: ).

Last edited:
fargoth said:
danger, did you say your cat made it to the age of 20? - that's remarkable!
Yeah. He was 10 when I bought him from the pound. His previous owners had a baby and were scared that he'd smother it. :rolleyes: The only cats that I don't generally like are Siamese, and that's only because I find their voices irritating. So I ended up with an 18 lb. tabby with a proportionally loud Siamese voice. He absolutely never shut up as long as he was awake. My mother named him Dingbat McBeth. 'Dingbat' from Gilbert and Sullivan: "Dingbat the singing cat; he sang so loud that he sang flat." McBeth from Shakespeare: "McBeth murders sleep." :biggrin:

1. Why do I miss my cat so much?

There are a few reasons why you may be missing your cat. Cats can provide comfort and companionship, and their absence can leave a void in your daily routine. You may also be missing the unique personality and bond you shared with your cat.

2. Is it normal to grieve for a cat?

Absolutely. Cats are often considered part of the family, and their loss can be just as painful as losing a human loved one. It is completely normal to grieve for your cat and to experience a range of emotions during this time.

3. How do I cope with the loss of my cat?

Coping with the loss of a cat is a personal and individual process. Some people find comfort in talking to friends and family, creating a memorial for their cat, or seeking support from a therapist. It's important to give yourself time and space to grieve and to find healthy ways to honor your cat's memory.

4. Will I ever stop missing my cat?

While everyone's grieving process is different, it is natural for the pain of losing a cat to lessen over time. However, you may always have fond memories and feelings for your cat, and that is perfectly normal. It is important to honor your feelings and allow yourself to grieve for as long as you need.

5. How can I feel closer to my cat even though they are gone?

There are many ways to feel connected to your cat even after their passing. You can create a special memorial, such as a photo album or a personalized urn, to honor their memory. You can also volunteer at a local animal shelter, donate to a charity in your cat's name, or simply talk to your cat and share your memories.