Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I miss the Titles

1. Sep 21, 2014 #1

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like the overall look of the new forum, but I think you should bring back titles spelled out in English. It is annoying to remember that the stylized Parthenon symbol (or is it supposed to be the Supreme Court building?) is Science Advisor, the Soviet star = contributor, etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2014 #2
    What if I colored them for you?

4. Sep 21, 2014 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's a gazebo!

5. Sep 21, 2014 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

When I hover the mouse over one of those symbols, it tells me what it is via a popup.

6. Sep 21, 2014 #5

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since the main purpose of the science advisor title is to let people know that this person's replies are likely to be correct, I think that at least the science advisor title should be spelled out. And for the same reason, perhaps being "staff emeritus" shouldn't prevent you from also being a science advisor.

7. Sep 21, 2014 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It doesn't. You have the Aegis, the Shield of Zeus, for being emeritus, and the Science Advisor Gazebo.

8. Sep 22, 2014 #7

DataGG

Gold Member

I would also prefer to have them written in plain english. I also don't like that the icons are above the avatar. I think it would look better if they were below (if you do decide to keep the icons)

9. Sep 22, 2014 #8
    Part of the reason was to reduce the height of postbits which just bloat message length.

10. Sep 22, 2014 #9

Borek

Is it possible to put them in a plain text after the user name, on the dark blue bar above the post? Something like Fredrik - Science Advisor, PF Contributor, Retired Staff.

11. Sep 22, 2014 #10
    I tried using that area in the past and it actually interferes with the scanning of the posts. Visually your eyes have to scan that information over and over again. It's like a hurdle to the next post your eyes have to jump. That already happens with the blue bar, but with text your eyes are drawn even more to it.

12. Sep 22, 2014 #11

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Colors would be great--so long as they are in English (like they used to be)!

As Fredrik notes, these annotations contain important information pertaining to the pedigree of the response, and should be called out explicitly.

13. Sep 22, 2014 #12
    I'll keep thinking of ideas that don't expand the postbit height too much

14. Sep 27, 2014 #13

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I see that Staff are still identified in the usual way. The staff obviously feel that being recognized is more important than conserving postbits, whatever those are. On the other hand, you have effectively demoted HH's, SA's and contributors.

15. Oct 1, 2014 #14

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Every post mentions the number of messages of a user, I guess valuable to some but actually useless info. That space could be used for indicating Science Advisor status, something of great value to the forum.

16. Oct 1, 2014 #15

Ryan_m_b

I think Greg's concern is that whilst it is entirely possible to have "Science Advisor" written the same way as "Staff: Mentor" users with multiple titles would have several of these boxes under their name, stretching the size of their post.

I completely understand your concern though, the icons were a big confusion to me especially as 90% of my browsing is done on my phone or ipad so I can't simply hover a mouse over them. Perhaps a compromise could be to use initialisms side-by-side under the avatar: SA/HH/SE/GM etc.

17. Oct 1, 2014 #16

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't think of that, wouldn't it be possible to make a "hierarchy" and only mention the most broad "title"?

I also find it a bit strange that the symmetry is broken, in the sense that "Staff: Mentor" is below the posts, while the icons are above the post. Having everything below the posts would at least be consistent in that the space is reserved for acquired titles. If that would be changed, I think one eventually gets used to the meaning of the symbols.

18. Oct 1, 2014 #17

Mark44

The colors didn't use to be in English. :D

19. Oct 1, 2014 #18

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I have been biting my tongue on this one since I love the new forum and I know I have a tendency to be critical, but since others are bringing it up I'll put in my two cents. I hate the icons, would very much prefer they be restored to words. Bloat doesn't strike me as a big problem and for me it would be a tradeoff worth making.

I think newcomers in particular would find it helpful rather than just confusing. The mouseover is not bad but some of us slower folks don't always think of that o0)

20. Oct 1, 2014 #19

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not too worried about the icons ... tho I did much prefer the text style

What I really, really, top of the list, miss tho is the thanks system we used to have
    It was nice to add a comment to the thanks being sent in one easy step
    Now, if I really want to comment on a thanks I send to some one, I have to open a PM to them and type in there
    paste a link to the thread concerned etc, a lot more convoluted.

cheers
    Dave

21. Oct 1, 2014 #20

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yeah, I agree w/ you and we beat that one to death in another thread. You and I lost.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook