1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I must find Time.

1. Sep 2, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data 2 Identical pellet guns are fired simultaneously from the edge of a cliff. These guns impart an initial speed of 30.0 m/s to each pellet. Gun A is fired straight upward, with the pellet going up the cliff and then falling back down, eventually hitting the ground beneath the cliff. Gun B is fired straight downward. In the absence of air resistance, how long after pellet B hits the ground does pellet A hit the ground.
    a= 9.8 m/s^2
    Vo=30.0 m/s

2. Relevant equations

y=Vot + 1/2 at^2
    or t=Vo*2/a
    v=Vo + at

3. The attempt at a solution

Here is what I did. 30.0 m/s *2/9.8 m/s^2= 6.12 s. The answer is right, but did I do the problem right.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

How did you come up with that?
  4. Sep 2, 2007 #3

Well, [tex]ms^{-1} [/tex] times [tex] ms^{-2} [/tex] would not give an answer in seconds. Since both would fall from the cliff with an initial velocity of [tex] 30 ms^{-1}[/tex] and with the same acceleration, the time difference would be the time taken for pellet A to go up and come back down to the level of the cliff.
  5. Sep 2, 2007 #4

Homework Helper

No it's the right answer... the units come out right. it's ms^-1 divided by ms^-2.
  6. Sep 2, 2007 #5
    so did i do it right
  7. Sep 2, 2007 #6

Homework Helper

You have not told us what you did to arrive at the expression (in particular the lefthand side of the expression):

"30.0 m/s *2/9.8 m/s^2= 6.12 s"

Thus we can not yet tell you if what you did was right.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?