1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I must have missed this lecture

1. May 1, 2005 #1
    I have a question here that I do not understand completely.
    The Growth of virulent bacteria is modelled over a short period of time by a very ambitious mathematical modeller as n=
    [tex] 10^{10} (x sin2x + tan^4 x^7)^3 [/tex]
    where x is measured in hours from x=.02 --> x= .1 from 12 noon.

The researcher observes that 1 minute and 12 seconds after noon n = 5 by three minutes after 12 noon n = ca 1250 and by 6 mins after noon the n = ca 78415. Show the model as proposed is a good fit for the numerical data. Determine the rate of Bacterial growth after 3 minutes.

I am not sure what I am being asked to do here. Am I just plugging in x values for the first half of the question or am I being asked to make a more complex analysis of the function between the said points. And for the second part of the question I presume that n (6) = 78415 is not a good fit for the function, but where shall I start to find a function that does fit, I am not sure of the method I should be employing here, I must have missed the lecture. Please help :confused:

Last edited: May 1, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The first part is just calculating the values for n at three values for x. They all fit reasonabley well. You do not need to look for a new function. What you need to do is use the given function to determine the RATE of change of n at 3 minutes. How do you find the rate of change of a function of time?

4. May 1, 2005 #3
    That would be parametric differentiation yes?
    Thankyou Dan for your help again.
    :biggrin:

5. May 2, 2005 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure where you are seeing anything parametric. x is time and you have a function of x, n(x). The rate of change of the function with respect to time is the derivative with respect to x, dn/dx.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?