1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need a career

1. Feb 2, 2008 #1
    Hello I’m a junior in high school. I was just wondering if I could get some advice on careers. I am considering either a career in medicine, specifically radiology, or a career in engineering most likely electrical or chemical engineering. I am pretty good at this relatively basic physics and really enjoy it, which draws me towards the engineering field. However I also would like to go into medicine; I like helping people, and I cannot say money isn’t an attraction. I’m quite intimidated by the responsibilities of a doctor but I believe I will enjoy it in the end. Next year I’m planning on taking AP Physics and AP biology, in the hope that it will help me with my choice. College is drawing closer pre med or engineering; I would like any advice from anyone.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

Well, there is bioengineering and chemical engineering in the pharmaceutical industry, developing new drugs and medicines, or producing them.

Radiology (used to be just X-ray) is just one of many diagnostic methods, which now includes MRI/PET/UT/. . . . .
  4. Feb 2, 2008 #3
    Yeah, my problem is that I do not know whether I want to have a career using physics; this year was a my first year taking the class, and i really liked it. Its been my life goal to go to med school and become a doctor but now I really do not know.
  5. Feb 2, 2008 #4
  6. Feb 2, 2008 #5
    Thank you for the suggestions. I really enjoy physics but am better at math which engineering careers require the most math?
  7. Feb 2, 2008 #6
    If you are interested in math, have you considered something like quant finance? You can take a quantitative major such as math, engineering, stats, or physics plus some courses in commerce and compsci. Work hard and try to get into a reputable Financial Engineering graduate program. You would enter the work force 6 - 7 years after starting university (4 yrs ugrad + 2-3 yrs masters/internship). The salary is more than generous. This route is pretty hard but since you've set your eyes on things like Medicine and engineering, this would be something to consider as well.
  8. Feb 2, 2008 #7
    Seems pretty interesting ill have to look into that. What would I do with a masters in Financial Engineering?
  9. Feb 3, 2008 #8

I've been told this is a pretty darn good school so obviously the placement rates are going to be high. I would not pay too much attention to that. Just scroll down to the Employers/Positions section to get an idea of what kind of jobs you can do. I'm sure you can search up more info if you spend some time on google.
  10. Feb 4, 2008 #9
    Thank you for the link. I'll have to reasearch some of these careers.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?