1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need a little info please

1. Aug 30, 2006 #1
    is there any formulas for a spring, or any way at all to calculate the weight needed to compress a spring, or do you just have to experiment

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Mmh the law is "you have to exert a constant force of kx to maintain the spring stretched a distance x from its position of equilibrium", where k is the spring constant. But ultimately, you have to find k experimentally.

4. Aug 30, 2006 #3
    quasar987 is correct; k can only be determined experimetally. Once you have that:

A simple form of Hooke's law
    [tex]F=-kx[/tex]
    F = force. k = spring constant. x = displacement from relaxed (not stretched or compressed). Note the right side is negative to denote "equal but opposite".

Also:
    [tex]PE = \frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex].

5. Aug 31, 2006 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The negative sign in Hooke's law indicates that the direction of the restoring force is opposite to the displacement from the unstretched position. For example: Displace the end of the spring to the right, the spring force acts to the left.

6. Aug 31, 2006 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

...if you don't have K, though, you can still calculate it from the properties of the material and shape of the spring.

7. Aug 31, 2006 #6
    thx, that helped a lot

8. Sep 1, 2006 #7

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook