1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need a math advisor

1. May 26, 2010 #1
    I want to start undergrad research for fun

I emailed my school and they told me they don't offer any

such opportunities for undergrads and suggested I wait until grad school.

But I'm really bored this summer and lots of schools have UR so why shouldnt I?

The problem is I dont know if a question is a good one, if its obvious or had

already been done or even where to get questions. I understsand that an undergrad

research question wouldn't be too difficult like what my profs would be doing but would

basically be something that's challenging but that nobody cares about

I was wondering if someone on here whos knowledgeable in a field of math could

recommend me some questions -Itd really really appreciate it. You could either pm me

or post it here

ps I'm not picky about the field, ive taken most common undergrad courses including

number theory analysis topology and algebra and plan to read up on the question

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2010 #2
    As an undergrad, your adviser usually hands you the question. As nobody at your school seems to be willing to be an undergrad adviser, find some REUs that interest you and apply to them or look at schools near yours.

4. May 26, 2010 #3
    I've got something related to fermats little theorem and group theory. Pm me if interested

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook