1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need a trig online helper

1. Dec 16, 2007 #1
    Does anyone know of a tutorial online that is a easy introduction to trigiometry? I am in the 8th grade so I need simplicity. Also, does anyone know of an easy Algebra tutorial also?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2007 #2
    Google is your friend.

The first result that turns up under 'trigonometry' is:
    'Dave's short Trig course'

Also- wikipedia is your other friend.

I would suggest that you learn i) The Pythagorean theorem, and ii) how to calculate sin, cos and tan for right angled triangles.

A lot of trigonometry is just getting used to all the various manipulations and identities that crop up. I wouldn't bother with learning all that before you have to. It's more important to grasp the fundamentals.
  4. Dec 16, 2007 #3
    Thanks for your help. I know the Pythagorean theorem but Sin, Cos, and Tan is hard because I can't remember what each one represents. Can anyone suggest someway of memorizing what each one means? like sin = a/b
  5. Dec 16, 2007 #4
    SOH CAH TOA (say it out loud!)

also, some people were taught "Some Old Hippie Caught Another Hippie Tripping On Acid"

Sin (Opposite over Hypotenuse)
    Cosine - Adjacent over Hypotenuse
    Tangent - Opposite over Adjacent
  6. Dec 16, 2007 #5
    Yes. You need to encode this information in a mnemonic.

S=O/H, C=A/H, T=O/A

this can be shortened to

Some people can just remember the phrase soh-cah-toa, but others (like me) like to make up a word for each letter.

Here's one I just made up (make up your own)

Silly otters have
    Candy and ham
    They're over-ambitious.
  7. Dec 16, 2007 #6
    WOW! Those help so much! Thank you very much! Now the test is to see if i can remember them.
  8. Dec 16, 2007 #7
    You could use SOH, CAH, TOA. It is commonly used to memorize Sin Cos Tan, as Sin is Oposite side over Hypotenuse (SOH). Cos is Adjacent side over hypotenuse(CAH), and finally Tan which is opposite over adjacent (TOA)

hmm sorry posted kinda late, i was reading the post
  9. Dec 16, 2007 #8
    lol its ok.
  10. Dec 18, 2007 #9
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?