I need advice I guess?

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
Mk
Gale, you are welcome here, If you don't mind shacking up with a fruit bat, a decrepit old woman and a possum smuggling cat.
You live with a decrepit old woman?

Evo
Mentor
You live with a decrepit old woman?
:smile: That would be me. I've been poking holes into and breaking various parts of my body. Pretty soon I'll be wearing orthopedic shoes and using a walker to get around.

:smile: That would be me. I've been poking holes into and breaking various parts of my body. Pretty soon I'll be wearing orthopedic shoes and using a walker to get around.
what's the news on the elbow/arm?

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
what's the news on the elbow/arm?
Evo will pick up on subliminal messages like that and slash her arm. Be careful rewebster.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
... it feels like any decision i make can change the whole direction of my life, and its just a lot of pressure.
That's always the case with decisions we have to make as adults. The only way to avoid changing directions is to not make any decisions and go nowhere...and you'll find out quickly that's much worse than whatever direction you might go by making a decision.

I really like turbo's idea too. If you can get a foot in the door of someplace when they are short-staffed during the slow season, then you know you've got a job for the busy season too...I'm sure someplace like that would rather keep on someone who they know will stay around during the season when everyone else flees than rehire someone who abandoned them for warmer climates in winter.

I don't know how hard it is to get jobs on a cruise line either, but that could be a pretty cool opportunity for someone young and interested in seeing different places/traveling without having to pay for it.

Residency requirements vary by state. For most I think its only one year but you need TWO years of financial independence. That was the issue for me. Also, generally, you aren't allowed to take classes during the year you live in the state you're trying to get residency for. The whole point of having to live in that state a year is to prove that you aren't moving there just for cheaper tuition, but because you wanted to live in that state.
Thanks Gale, and I do infact intend to live in Oregon once I get done with school, its SO much better than this part of New Mexico.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
That's always the case with decisions we have to make as adults. The only way to avoid changing directions is to not make any decisions and go nowhere...and you'll find out quickly that's much worse than whatever direction you might go by making a decision.
Excellent advice. One has to pick a direction and go!

I really like turbo's idea too. If you can get a foot in the door of someplace when they are short-staffed during the slow season, then you know you've got a job for the busy season too...I'm sure someplace like that would rather keep on someone who they know will stay around during the season when everyone else flees than rehire someone who abandoned them for warmer climates in winter.

I don't know how hard it is to get jobs on a cruise line either, but that could be a pretty cool opportunity for someone young and interested in seeing different places/traveling without having to pay for it.
Turbo's idea is reasonable, but think about where one wants to go academically, and make a decision based upon that. Dixville Notch is 2.5 hrs from Hanover (Dartmouth College), and then there is UNH. The other good news is that you'll be 2 hrs from Turbo's.

For now perhaps the best thing is get a job and a place to stay while figuring out what one wants to do. In the long term, one should strive for a profession that is meaningful and enjoyable, and provides for economic independence.