I need advice on a career path

In summary, the speaker is a high school student who excels in academics, particularly in math and physics. They have a strong interest in physics and spend their free time reading books on the subject. However, they also have a desire for a career that provides a good salary, leading them to consider aeronautics engineering and working for NASA. They are seeking advice on a practical and attainable career path.
Snazzo
So I am a pretty normal grade 11 kid, I have good grades (92.5% average and all level 1 courses), I'm a natural at maths and physics and I'm already weeks ahead of my physics class. My true talent is probably with computers, I taught myself a bunch of languages, like Python, Java ...

I'm incredibly interested in anything physics related. I spend a lot of my free time reading books like Einstein for Dummies, Brief History of Time and A Stubbornly Persistent Illusion. But I have a problem, my dream job would be to work at a huge facility like CERN but the reality is, is that, that probably won't happen. My dad is a civil engineer and I come from a middle-upper class family in eastern Canada, and a good salary means a lot to me and I feel like a career in physics won't be able to give me this! Aeronautics engineering is also something I'm seriously considering, I have been always really interested in the Apollo missions and the Mars exploration missions since I have been really young. The industry is going to really kick-start within the next decade or two so it seems like a good possibility. Working for NASA developing new spacecraft is a childhood dream but like a CERN career path, it seems really unlikely!

I need your advice on a possible career path, something attainable! Your help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks alot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Snazzo said:
I need your advice on a possible career path, something attainable! Your help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks alot!
If I had it all to do over again I'd be a drug dealer.

What are some steps I can take to figure out my ideal career path?

1. Reflect on your interests, values, and skills to identify potential career paths that align with them.

2. Research various industries and job roles to gain a better understanding of what they entail and what skills are required.

3. Network with professionals in fields you are interested in to gain insights and advice.

4. Consider taking career assessments or working with a career counselor to gain further clarity.

5. Gain hands-on experience through internships, volunteering, or part-time jobs to test out different career paths.

What are the benefits of informational interviews in finding the right career path?

1. Gain first-hand insights and advice from professionals working in fields you are interested in.

2. Expand your professional network and potentially uncover hidden job opportunities.

3. Learn about the day-to-day responsibilities, challenges, and rewards of a specific job role.

4. Get a better understanding of the skills and qualifications required for a particular career path.

5. Use the information gathered to make informed decisions about your career path.

How can I balance my passions and financial stability when choosing a career path?

1. Prioritize your values and goals to determine what is most important to you.

2. Research potential career paths to understand their salary potential and job market demand.

3. Consider alternative options such as freelancing or part-time work in your passion while pursuing a stable job to meet financial needs.

4. Explore ways to combine your passions with a stable career, such as starting a side hustle or pursuing a related career path.

5. Continuously reassess and make adjustments as your priorities and circumstances change.

What are some common career mistakes I should avoid?

1. Choosing a career solely based on salary or societal pressure, rather than your interests and values.

2. Not doing enough research on a career path before committing to it.

3. Staying in a job or career that makes you unhappy or unfulfilled.

4. Not continuously learning and developing new skills to stay relevant in the job market.

5. Comparing your career path to others and feeling inadequate or making rash decisions based on others' success.

What resources are available for me to explore different career paths?

1. Career assessment tests, such as Myers-Briggs or StrengthsFinder.

2. Career counselors or coaches who can provide personalized guidance and support.

3. Job shadowing opportunities to experience a day in the life of a professional in a particular field.

4. Professional networking events and online platforms, such as LinkedIn, to connect with professionals in various industries.

5. Online research through job search engines, company websites, and industry-specific websites and publications.