1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need advice

1. Apr 10, 2013 #1
    Okay well I'm a senior in high school and I am having trouble figuring out what I want to do when I graduate. I like science a lot mainly physics, and I also like math but I'm having trouble figuring out what I should major in. The options I have considered so far are physics, computer science, mechanical engineering, but in all honesty I can't decide between them and keep frantically changing my mind. I am okay at math and physics but I am wondering if I will be able to do the math that is involved or if I will just fall behind. I don't want to give up before I try but I would like some advice on how to go about this. Thank you for your time ( also I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post something like this)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2013 #2
    Go to college. the considerations you mentioned will all have the same class requirements for a few semesters. Do as best you can in math, each of those will have you taking up through the calculus series, maybe differential equations (I don't know about computer science). Get some good grades in the general ed. classes, enjoy things while they're easy.

Study a lot and really try to learn in all of your science and math courses. They will be the foundation of your education. You have plenty of time to choose a major, change a major, etc.

4. Apr 11, 2013 #3
    Mindheavy is right about your choices having the same requirements early on. One thing I would also suggest is to take the introduction class for computer science early. I know a few majors that reconsider their physics or math major after they take the introduction CS course because they don't like programming. You'll program very often in those two majors. In engineering you'll program as well but to my understanding they use programs like MATLAB which makes things quicker but you'll still have to write scripts here and there. All the physicist I know program with FORTRAN and C++. Hope that helps and good luck with everything.

5. Apr 12, 2013 #4
    This is very good advice. Actually, I would recommend learning programming this summer and see how you like it. It's such a great skill to have, or to know if you even like it or not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook