Which Major Should I Pursue After High School?

In summary, Mindheavy is advising the person to go to college, take the classes required for their chosen major, and do well in math and science. He also recommends taking an introductory class for computer science.
Oberon
Okay well I'm a senior in high school and I am having trouble figuring out what I want to do when I graduate. I like science a lot mainly physics, and I also like math but I'm having trouble figuring out what I should major in. The options I have considered so far are physics, computer science, mechanical engineering, but in all honesty I can't decide between them and keep frantically changing my mind. I am okay at math and physics but I am wondering if I will be able to do the math that is involved or if I will just fall behind. I don't want to give up before I try but I would like some advice on how to go about this. Thank you for your time ( also I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post something like this)

Physics news on Phys.org
Oberon said:
I'm a senior in high school..

Oberon said:
The options I have considered so far are physics, computer science, mechanical engineering..

Go to college. the considerations you mentioned will all have the same class requirements for a few semesters. Do as best you can in math, each of those will have you taking up through the calculus series, maybe differential equations (I don't know about computer science). Get some good grades in the general ed. classes, enjoy things while they're easy.

Study a lot and really try to learn in all of your science and math courses. They will be the foundation of your education. You have plenty of time to choose a major, change a major, etc.

Mindheavy is right about your choices having the same requirements early on. One thing I would also suggest is to take the introduction class for computer science early. I know a few majors that reconsider their physics or math major after they take the introduction CS course because they don't like programming. You'll program very often in those two majors. In engineering you'll program as well but to my understanding they use programs like MATLAB which makes things quicker but you'll still have to write scripts here and there. All the physicist I know program with FORTRAN and C++. Hope that helps and good luck with everything.

tmbrwlf730 said:
Mindheavy is right about your choices having the same requirements early on. One thing I would also suggest is to take the introduction class for computer science early. I know a few majors that reconsider their physics or math major after they take the introduction CS course because they don't like programming. You'll program very often in those two majors. In engineering you'll program as well but to my understanding they use programs like MATLAB which makes things quicker but you'll still have to write scripts here and there. All the physicist I know program with FORTRAN and C++. Hope that helps and good luck with everything.

This is very good advice. Actually, I would recommend learning programming this summer and see how you like it. It's such a great skill to have, or to know if you even like it or not.

I understand the difficulty in choosing a major after high school. It can be overwhelming to decide on a specific field, especially when you have multiple interests. My advice would be to first consider your strengths and interests. If you enjoy physics and math, then pursuing a major in a related field may be a good fit for you.

However, it is important to keep in mind that college can be a time for exploration and growth. You do not have to have your entire career path mapped out before you even start college. It is okay to change your mind and try different subjects before settling on a major.

I would also suggest talking to your high school guidance counselor, current college students, and professionals in the fields you are interested in. They can provide valuable insights and advice on what to expect in these majors and careers. Additionally, consider taking some introductory courses in each of the fields you are considering to see which one you enjoy the most.

In terms of your concerns about the level of math involved, it is important to remember that with hard work and dedication, you can overcome any challenges that come your way. You may also find that as you progress through your courses, your skills and understanding of math and physics will improve.

Ultimately, the most important thing is to choose a major that you are passionate about and will motivate you to succeed. Good luck in your decision-making process!

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a major?

When choosing a major, it's important to consider your interests, skills, and values. You should also think about potential career opportunities and the job market for your chosen major.

2. How do I know if a major is a good fit for me?

A good fit for a major is one that aligns with your interests, strengths, and values. You should also consider if the major will help you achieve your long-term career goals and if you feel excited and motivated to learn about the subject.

3. Is it better to choose a major based on potential job opportunities or my interests?

This depends on your personal goals and priorities. Some individuals may prioritize job opportunities and financial stability, while others may prioritize their passions and interests. It's important to find a balance between the two and choose a major that you are passionate about and has potential for career growth.

4. Should I choose a major based on earning potential?

Your earning potential can be a factor to consider when choosing a major, but it shouldn't be the sole determining factor. It's important to choose a major that you are interested in and can excel in, as this can lead to more job satisfaction and success in the long run.

5. Can I change my major after starting college?

Yes, it is possible to change your major after starting college. It's important to speak with your academic advisor and carefully consider the potential consequences and requirements for changing your major. It's also important to remember that it's never too late to change your major and find your true passion.