Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B I need an equation for relativistic exhaust velocity (Ve)

1. Jul 6, 2017 #1

BitWiz

Gold Member

Does anyone have an equation that -- given energy applied to a mass over a distance -- will give me an (ideal) final velocity of the mass?

If I direct a gigajoule to accelerate a gram over a distance of a meter, I obviously get into real trouble with c using conventional equations.

I've found equations that apply Lorentz -- but they seem to do it as an adjustment after a raw, conventional velocity has been obtained, using this final, conventional velocity to plug into Lorentz. That can't work in this case. I'm looking for a function Ve( joules, mass, distance ) that works for all non-negative parameter values, and takes relativity into account. Can you help?

Thank you very much!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2017 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Take the ratio of total energy to rest energy: that gives you the relativistic ##\gamma## factor. Then invert the formula for ##\gamma## in terms of ##v## to get ##v##.

4. Jul 6, 2017 #3

PeterDonis

2016 Award

You should check your math first. Hint: what is the rest energy of one gram of mass, in gigajoules?

5. Jul 6, 2017 #4

PeterDonis

2016 Award

The distance is actually irrelevant to the final velocity. It is only relevant to determining the acceleration required to achieve that velocity. The final velocity only depends on the total energy applied.

6. Jul 6, 2017 #5

BitWiz

Gold Member

c2 / 1000 ?

7. Jul 6, 2017 #6

PeterDonis

2016 Award

If you calculate this numerically and convert to gigajoules, yes. What do you get?

8. Jul 6, 2017 #7

BitWiz

Gold Member

So, v = v' * rest_mass / (Rest_mass + Jo
    ~898756 Gj ?

9. Jul 6, 2017 #8

PeterDonis

2016 Award

No. Try starting from what I said in post #2.

I think you're too high by an order of magnitude.

10. Jul 6, 2017 #9

BitWiz

Gold Member

Whoops.
    If a joule = 1 (kg) / c2, then 1kg = c2j, and a gram is 1000th of that?

If c is ~ 3e8, then c2 is 9e16j for a kg. For a gram, 9e13j. For a gigajoule, 9e4?

11. Jul 6, 2017 #10

BitWiz

Gold Member

You're saying that gamma is 1 + ( mass-equivalent-of-energy-added / rest mass ) ?

Thanks!

12. Jul 6, 2017 #11

PeterDonis

2016 Award

That's one way of putting it, yes. Or you could just do everything in energy units; it works out the same either way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted