Equation for Relativistic Exhaust Velocity (Ve): Help Needed

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding an equation that will give the ideal final velocity of a mass given the energy applied to it over a distance. The speaker suggests taking the ratio of total energy to rest energy to get the relativistic ##\gamma## factor and inverting the formula to find the final velocity. The distance is irrelevant to the final velocity, only the total energy applied matters. There is a discussion about the math behind this and it is determined that the rest energy of one gram of mass is ~898756 Gj. The speaker clarifies that gamma can be calculated as 1 + (mass-equivalent-of-energy-added / rest mass) and suggests doing all calculations in energy units.
BitWiz
Gold Member
Does anyone have an equation that -- given energy applied to a mass over a distance -- will give me an (ideal) final velocity of the mass?

If I direct a gigajoule to accelerate a gram over a distance of a meter, I obviously get into real trouble with c using conventional equations.

I've found equations that apply Lorentz -- but they seem to do it as an adjustment after a raw, conventional velocity has been obtained, using this final, conventional velocity to plug into Lorentz. That can't work in this case. I'm looking for a function Ve( joules, mass, distance ) that works for all non-negative parameter values, and takes relativity into account. Can you help?

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
BitWiz said:
Does anyone have an equation that -- given energy applied to a mass over a distance -- will give me an (ideal) final velocity of the mass?

Take the ratio of total energy to rest energy: that gives you the relativistic ##\gamma## factor. Then invert the formula for ##\gamma## in terms of ##v## to get ##v##.

BitWiz said:
If I direct a gigajoule to accelerate a gram over a distance of a meter, I obviously get into real trouble with c using conventional equations.

You should check your math first. Hint: what is the rest energy of one gram of mass, in gigajoules?

BitWiz said:
given energy applied to a mass over a distance

The distance is actually irrelevant to the final velocity. It is only relevant to determining the acceleration required to achieve that velocity. The final velocity only depends on the total energy applied.

PeterDonis said:
You should check your math first. Hint: what is the rest energy of one gram of mass, in gigajoules?
c2 / 1000 ?

BitWiz said:
c2 / 1000 ?

If you calculate this numerically and convert to gigajoules, yes. What do you get?

PeterDonis said:
The distance is actually irrelevant to the final velocity. It is only relevant to determining the acceleration required to achieve that velocity. The final velocity only depends on the total energy applied.
So, v = v' * rest_mass / (Rest_mass + Jo
PeterDonis said:
If you calculate this numerically and convert to gigajoules, yes. What do you get?
~898756 Gj ?

BitWiz said:
v = v' * rest_mass / (Rest_mass + Jo

No. Try starting from what I said in post #2.

BitWiz said:
~898756 Gj ?

I think you're too high by an order of magnitude.

Whoops.
If a joule = 1 (kg) / c2, then 1kg = c2j, and a gram is 1000th of that?

If c is ~ 3e8, then c2 is 9e16j for a kg. For a gram, 9e13j. For a gigajoule, 9e4?

PeterDonis said:
No. Try starting from what I said in post #2.

You're saying that gamma is 1 + ( mass-equivalent-of-energy-added / rest mass ) ?

Thanks!

BitWiz said:
You're saying that gamma is 1 + ( mass-equivalent-of-energy-added / rest mass ) ?

That's one way of putting it, yes. Or you could just do everything in energy units; it works out the same either way.

1. What is the equation for relativistic exhaust velocity?

The equation for relativistic exhaust velocity (Ve) is Ve = c * (1 - e^(-Δv/c)), where c is the speed of light and Δv is the change in velocity.

2. How is this equation different from the non-relativistic exhaust velocity equation?

The relativistic exhaust velocity equation takes into account the effects of relativity, specifically time dilation and length contraction, on the exhaust velocity of a moving object. The non-relativistic equation does not account for these effects.

3. How is this equation used in scientific research and applications?

The equation for relativistic exhaust velocity is used in a variety of fields, such as astrophysics, aerospace engineering, and particle physics. It is used to calculate the velocity of exhaust gases from rockets, the acceleration of particles in particle accelerators, and the energy output of distant stars and galaxies.

4. Can this equation be applied to objects moving at any speed?

Yes, this equation can be applied to objects moving at any speed, as long as the speed is significant enough to cause relativistic effects. For example, the exhaust velocity of a spacecraft traveling at a high speed would be calculated using this equation.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions to consider when using this equation?

One limitation of this equation is that it assumes the exhaust gases are emitted in a single direction. It also assumes that the object's velocity is constant and that the exhaust velocity is much smaller than the speed of light. Additionally, it does not take into account other factors such as gravity or external forces acting on the object.