What is the equation for this pattern? (x=0, 2, 4, 16, 256, 65536)

• Thread starter Qwerty
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding an equation for a specific pattern that involves squaring itself. The solution is found to be 2^(2^x), with x=0 being the first number in the pattern.
Qwerty
I have the following pattern and i need an equation that if x = 1 then y will equal the fist number of it, if x = 2, then y will equal the 2nd number.

The pattern is:
2, 4, 16, 256, 65536

Hint: It keeps squaring itself.

Any ideas?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Try writing all of them as powers of 2:

It should be easy from there...

Try writing all of them as powers of 2
But this doesn't help me much becasue it doesn't find my numbers i need in an equation...

f(x) = 2^2x

Last edited:
f(x) = 2^2x
I had already thought of this but it does not work...Here is teh pattern it gives you.
This is the pattern I want...
2, 4, 16, 256, 65536

There is not supposed to be 64 and it also skips 2

Originally posted by PrudensOptimus
f(x) = 2^2x

No, that gives 22, 24, 26, ...

I don't think we should be giving explicit formulas anyway, since it sounds like homework.

Qwerty, take NateTG's suggestion and first find a formula for just the exponents 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, ... from that you can derive a formula for the actual sequence.

it turns out to be quite a function with an even nicer derivative

I don't think we should be giving explicit formulas anyway, since it sounds like homework.
Acually no, it's not for homework...its for a project I am working on(programming).

And I don't need your help anymore, I found the answer to my question myself.
Answer: 2^(2^x)

Originally posted by Qwerty
Acually no, it's not for homework...its for a project I am working on(programming).

And I don't need your help anymore, I found the answer to my question myself.
Answer: 2^(2^x)
Originally posted by Qwerty
I have the following pattern and i need an equation that if x = 1 then y will equal the fist number of it, if x = 2, then y will equal the 2nd number.

The pattern is:
2, 4, 16, 256, 65536

Hint: It keeps squaring itself.

Any ideas?
if you first put x=1 (as you requested) to this equation you get 2^(2^1)=4 which is not the first number 2 ofcourse.
but if you put first x=0 then this is the equation you were looking for this pattern.

if you first put x=1 (as you requested) to this equation you get 2^(2^1)=4 which is not the first number 2 ofcourse.
Yes this is an error in my first post, 0 is supposed to be the first number subsituted into the equation.

1. How do I write an equation?

To write an equation, you must first identify the variables and constants involved. Then, use mathematical symbols and operations to express the relationship between them. For example, the equation for the area of a rectangle is A = l x w, where A is the area, l is the length, and w is the width.

2. What is the difference between an equation and a formula?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more variables. A formula, on the other hand, is a specific type of equation that is used to solve a problem or calculate a value. In other words, formulas are equations with a specific purpose.

3. Can I use letters other than x and y in an equation?

Yes, you can use any letter or symbol to represent a variable in an equation. However, it is important to use different letters for different variables to avoid confusion. For example, if you use x to represent the length and the width of a rectangle, it would be more clear to use l for length and w for width.

4. How do I solve an equation?

To solve an equation, you must isolate the variable you want to find on one side of the equal sign. This can be done by using inverse operations, such as addition and subtraction, to cancel out other terms. Once the variable is isolated, you can solve for its value by performing the necessary operations on both sides of the equation.

5. Can equations be used in real-life situations?

Yes, equations are used in many real-life situations, especially in the fields of science and engineering. They are used to describe and predict relationships between physical quantities, such as speed, force, and temperature. Equations are also used in financial and business calculations, such as interest rates and profit margins.