What Creative Projects Can You Undertake with Large Copper Items in Electronics?

• Thread starter BhutJolokia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Copper Ee
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential uses for two large copper things that were purchased for $14 and are actually Synergy 6D: Line Voltage Dimmer Power Modules. The modules can be used for dimming various types of loads and come with installation instructions and wiring diagrams. The user is wondering about other potential uses for the copper coils on the modules and is interested in making wire art.
BhutJolokia
I purchased two of these for 14$:

2n6x4ox.jpg

7lfd.jpg

What can I make from them? My father suggested making a current transformer but I am wondering what else you think I can use those large copper things for?

(I just started my first semester of EE, I like tinkering with electronics in my spare time.)

Engineering news on Phys.org
BhutJolokia, You have Synergy 6D: Line Voltage Dimmer Power Modules

Modules include six 20A line voltage dimmers with integral 15A or 20A circuit breakers and are available for 120V, 230V and 277V applications. Each dimmer is equipped with an air-gap relay and an architectural-grade torriodal filter.

On the Synergy website Click on "Installation instruction sheets" for step-by-step installation procedure, including wiring diagrams:

http://www.synergylightingcontrols.com/family1.aspx?family=sypmb 6d

You may use the modules to dim many types of loads.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Well, they actually are not working right now. When I picked them up most of the circuit board that's left on them is damaged. I was wonderinf what I could possibly use those copper coil looking things to build something from. I plan on taking them apart later today if I get time so I could post better pictures if needed.

Also I really appreciate you telling me what they are and pulling the wiring diagrams for me.

I would first like to acknowledge your interest in exploring the uses of large copper items and your eagerness to apply your knowledge in electronics. Copper is a highly versatile metal and has many practical applications in various fields, including electronics.

In terms of what you can make from the two large copper items you have purchased, the possibilities are endless. One potential use could be to create a heat sink for electronic components. Copper has excellent thermal conductivity, making it an ideal material for dissipating heat from electronic devices. You could also use the copper items to create electromagnetic shielding, which is essential in preventing interference in electronic circuits.

Additionally, you can use the copper items to make printed circuit boards (PCBs) by etching the copper surface and creating tracks for electronic components. This process can be done at home with basic tools and is a great way to practice your skills in EE. Furthermore, you could also use the copper items to create inductors, which are essential components in many electronic circuits.

Apart from these applications, you could also consider using the copper items for decorative purposes. Copper has a beautiful color and can be polished to a high shine, making it a popular material for home decor and jewelry. You could also consider selling the copper items to a scrap metal dealer, as copper has a high value and is widely used in the manufacturing industry.

In conclusion, the possibilities for the use of large copper items are vast, and as an EE student, you have the opportunity to explore and experiment with different applications. I encourage you to continue tinkering with electronics and to think creatively about how you can use the copper items in your projects. Best of luck on your EE journey!

1. What sparked your interest in exploring uses for large copper items?

I have always been fascinated by the versatility and durability of copper as a material. In my research, I came across several large copper items that were being discarded or left unused. This sparked my curiosity to explore potential uses for these items and how they could be repurposed.

2. What are some common large copper items that you have studied?

Some of the most common large copper items that I have studied include old pipes, electrical wires, water tanks, and industrial machinery. These items can range in size from a few feet to several meters and are often made of pure or alloyed copper.

3. What are some of the challenges you faced during your EE journey?

One of the major challenges I faced was finding innovative and practical uses for these large copper items. I had to think outside the box and consider factors such as cost, feasibility, and environmental impact. Another challenge was obtaining these items for experimentation, as they are not readily available in a laboratory setting.

4. What are some potential uses for large copper items that you have discovered?

Through my research, I have discovered that large copper items can be repurposed into various functional and decorative objects. Some examples include using old pipes to create unique lighting fixtures, turning water tanks into outdoor planters, and transforming industrial machinery into art installations.

5. How do you think your findings can contribute to sustainability efforts?

By exploring uses for large copper items, we can reduce the amount of waste and pollution caused by disposing of these items in landfills. Repurposing these items also reduces the need for mining and manufacturing new copper, which has a significant environmental impact. Additionally, repurposing large copper items can save energy and resources, making it a more sustainable option for our society.