1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help balancing this equation

1. Sep 20, 2013 #1
    I know this is elementary stuff, but I'm in Gen Chem 1 and this is the only thing I am having trouble with. I am fine balancing most equations, but when there are odd numbers of certain elements I get sort of confused. For example:

C2H6 + O2 [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] CO2 + H2O

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried several times, but the closest I could get was:

2C2H6 + 5O2 [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 2CO2 + 6H2O

It is the Oxygen andHydrogen being uneven that is screwing me up. Right away I realize I have 3 Oxygen on the right and 2 on the left, so the first thing I tried to do was make both sides have 6 oxygen...

C2H6 + 3O2 [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] CO2 + 4H2O

But then that leaves me with 8 Hydrogen on the right, and only 6 on the left...I can't think of any ways to get that 6 to equal 8! Then I tried for 12 Oxygen on both sides instead of 6...then my problem is still Hydrogen.

So maybe y'all see what I'm confused about...like I said, this is the only thing I am having trouble with so far in Gen Chem is balancing this specific type of equation, and we have our first test on Tuesday! So hopefully someone can help :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Let's start with 1 molecule of C2H6. It is obvious we will produce two CO2 and three H2O:

C2H6 + xO2 → 2CO2 + 3H2O

Can you find x? It will be a fraction now - but you can multiply everything by some small integer to get rid of the denominator...

4. Sep 20, 2013 #3
    It would be 3[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex], yes? So I should then multiply by a small integer to get rid of denom, multiply all by 2? Does that include the 3.5?

5. Sep 20, 2013 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Yes, multiply 3.5 as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted