I Can someone help me with this problem?

• Thread starter princiebebe57
  • Start date
In summary, the resultant vector of combining 2A - 3B, where A = 4i + 3j and B = 9i + 8j, is equal to -19i - 18j and has a magnitude of approximately 26.172. The formula for the length of a vector is the square root of the sum of the squares of its components, which can be thought of as the Pythagorean theorem.
princiebebe57
What is the length of the resultant vector of combining 2A - 3B where vector A= 4i + 3j and vector B= 9i + 8j?

Physics news on Phys.org
First thing is to multiply the vectors by the given amounts... post your result.

is it -19i + 30j?

princiebebe57 said:
is it -19i + 30j?
No, what's 2A and 3B?

2A = 8i + 6j
3B = 27i + 24j

is that correct?

princiebebe57 said:
2A = 8i + 6j
3B = 27i + 24j

is that correct?
Yep -- now do the subtraction.

so (8i + 6j)-(27i + 24j)?

princiebebe57 said:
so (8i + 6j)-(27i + 24j)?
Yeah. What's it equal?

is it -19i - 18j?

princiebebe57 said:
is it -19i - 18j?
Yeah -- and the length (magnitude) is...

i'm stuck at that!

princiebebe57 said:
i'm stuck at that!

The magnitude of a vector [itex]x\vec{i}+y\vec{j}=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/itex]. So, what does give you in your case?

Last edited:
so is it 26.172?

princiebebe57 said:
so is it 26.172?
Yep -- to 3 decimal places.

Thank you so much!

Hello princiebebe57,

you may find this website here interesting. It contains some questions and answers on vectors.
If you want to remember the formula for the length of a vector, it helps thinking of the Pythagorean theorem.

1. What does the problem involve?

The problem likely involves a scientific concept or experiment that you are struggling with. It's important to clearly define the problem and identify what specifically you need help with.

2. Can you provide more context or background information?

In order for someone to effectively help you with a scientific problem, they will likely need more information about the problem and your understanding of it. Be prepared to provide any relevant context or background information.

3. Have you tried any solutions or approaches already?

It's always helpful to mention any attempts you have made to solve the problem on your own. This can give the person helping you a better idea of where to start and what might be causing the issue.

4. What are the specific steps or instructions you need help with?

If you're working on a specific experiment or project, be sure to outline the steps or instructions you are having trouble with. This can help the person assisting you to pinpoint where you are getting stuck.

5. Are there any resources or references you can recommend?

If you have come across any helpful resources or references related to the problem, it can be beneficial to share them with the person trying to help you. This can give them a better understanding of the topic and potentially provide new insights or solutions.