1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: I need help changing an equation

1. Feb 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So, I'm given the equation T = kL^3/2

Data: L= .9, .8, .7, .6, .5 and T=.558, .47, .375, .323, .26 (.9 goes with .558, etc)

I need to find the constant k by changing T=kL^3/2 into log form

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2010 #2
    "Rewriting the equation in log form" essentially means to take logarithms on both sides of the equation. So, we obtain
    [tex]log T = log (k\,L^{\frac{3}{2}})[/tex]​

I'm sure you can go on in further simplifying the expression?

4. Feb 12, 2010 #3
    Well, I see you've edited your post with the data.
    To solve for k, what we are doing here is actually linearising the relation between T and L so that we can plot a nice straight line.
    Simplifying the expression further, we get:
    [tex]log\,T = log\,k + \frac{3}{2}log\,L[/tex]​

Clearly, plotting log T against log L (values obtained from your data) will yield a gradient of 3/2 and a y-intercept of log k. This enables you to obtain the value of k.

5. Feb 12, 2010 #4
    how does making the relation linear allow me to find k?

6. Feb 12, 2010 #5
    It allows you to plot a simple straight line graph in the form y = mx + c from which you can extract information from.
    As I mentioned in my earlier post, plotting y (log T) against x (log L) will yield a gradient m (3/2) and a y-intercept c (log k). Obtain the y-intercept value from the graph, which is equal to log k, and solve from k from there.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook