I choosing an extra class for next semester.

In summary, the student is a Freshman EE/CS major and has chosen the following classes: Calc 3 (4 hours), Linear Algebra (3 hours), Basic Concepts of Math (3 hours), and Comprehensive Physics with lab (5 hours). They are considering adding ODEs but are concerned about the heavy workload. They have been advised not to overload their schedule and to make time for other activities.
Davidthefat
I am a Freshman EE/CS major. So far, the classes I have chosen so far are:
Calc 3 (4 hours)

Linear Algebra (3 Hours)

Basic Concepts Of Math ( Mathematical proofs, set theory, mathematical
induction and recursion, binary relations, functions,
definition and development of some common number
systems, cardinal numbers, abstract algebra. ) (3 Hours)

Comprehensive Physics (Gravity
A treatment of electromagnetism which builds on relativity
Atomic, nuclear, and particle physics
Statistical mechanics and thermodynamics) (5 hours with lab)

I might add on ODEs, but that is very math heavy as it is.

That does not resemble classes for a EECS major at all; I am aware of that. My school does not offer the next level of EE classes till the Fall, and I am testing out of the Data Structures and Algorithms class (I took it Senior year of high school).

I am not sure if adding Chem is wise either, as I've been told the lab itself is a time sink. I am already taking 19 credits this semester, and I've been advised to not slow down my work load as the workload in grad school will be comparable to taking 22 credits.

Physics news on Phys.org
Damn, I did that once, nearly blew my mind. In fact, a schedule very similar like this is what convinced me to schedule all my classes via spreadsheet to ensure I had a relaxing time.

I feel like this should course load would be enough for anyone and if felt the need to add one more class, I would advise something less intense like a gen ed course you might need. Classes are fine, but remember to keep time for friends, relaxing, and clubs. There's more to a college education than the classroom.

1. How do I choose an extra class for next semester?

Choosing an extra class for next semester can be a bit overwhelming, but here are some steps to help you make the decision. First, review your degree requirements and see if there are any classes that you still need to take. Next, consider your interests and career goals. Are there any classes that align with your passions or future plans? You can also talk to your academic advisor for guidance.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing an extra class for next semester?

There are a few factors you should consider when choosing an extra class for next semester. First, think about the workload and how it will fit into your schedule. You should also consider the difficulty level and prerequisites for the class. Additionally, think about the professor teaching the class and their teaching style. Finally, consider if the class will be beneficial for your future academic or career goals.

3. Can I take an extra class outside of my major?

Yes, you can definitely take an extra class outside of your major. In fact, it can be beneficial to take classes in different subjects to broaden your knowledge and skills. However, make sure to check with your academic advisor to ensure the class will still count towards your degree requirements.

4. How many extra classes can I take in one semester?

This will depend on your university's policies and your own personal schedule and workload. Generally, it is recommended to take no more than 18 credits in one semester to ensure you have enough time to dedicate to each class. Also, consider the difficulty level of the classes and how well you can manage your time.

5. What if I change my mind about an extra class after enrolling?

If you change your mind about an extra class after enrolling, you can usually drop the class within a certain timeframe without any penalty. However, make sure to check with your university's policies and procedures for dropping a class. It's also a good idea to speak with your academic advisor to discuss any potential impacts on your degree progress or schedule.