I coming up with an idea for my UP1 paper

• Thread starter supahtofu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea Paper
In summary, the conversation discussed the difficulty of finding a topic for a ten page paper related to topics studied in University Physics 1 such as gravity, energy, and kinematics. Suggestions were given for topics such as energy efficient driving habits and comparing stopping distances for different sized vehicles on ice. The paper was required to be an informational one, potentially including some equations, and ideas were suggested to browse Hyperphysics for inspiration. The topic of getting to orbit and the energy required for it was also mentioned. It was advised to start writing and be open to revising and changing ideas as the writing process progresses.
supahtofu
I have to write a ten page paper on a subject relating to things we have learned in University Physics 1. I'm having a really hard time coming up with something though. It's due Monday and I'm starting to get really stressed about this. Any ideas? (must be related to gravity, energy, and kinematics)

Physics news on Phys.org
How about something on energy efficient driving habits? Figure out how much fuel you save by doing things like taking your foot off the accelerator when you see the flashing lights warning that the traffic light will turn red before you get there. Slowing down to go over a hill. A practical calculation of a coefficient of total friction for a car coasting to a stop would be interesting.

Maybe you could investigate the theory that a big truck and a small car have the same stopping distance on ice, under certain conditions.

A police accident investigator might give you some measurements of an accident from which you could calculate the initial speeds involved.

Is there anymore guidance other than the subject must be related to a topic studied in the course? Does the paper/essay require some historic review?

Does the paper require some calculations or equations?

Perhaps some ideas may appear from browsing Hyperphysics.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

What could one write about gravity? Think about getting to orbit. How much energy would that take?

How far could one travel in a car with the amount of energy used to get to orbit?

The paper needs to be an informational paper, not really containing calculations, maybe some equations though. For instance, one of my classmates is doing a paper on thrust generated by motors.

I still haven't started yet, I have really bad writer's block right now...

supahtofu said:
I still haven't started yet, I have really bad writer's block right now...
Just start writing, and be prepared to revise/toss some work. I used to agonize about some papers, thinking that I had to have fully-fledged ideas before I could start writing. That's not the way things worked out (at least for me). If I started writing, I'd generally get some "aha" moments, and often would end up with papers that were very different than I had imagined in the beginning.

Nowadays, you can write using your computer. 40 years ago, it was pencil and paper, transcribed to a typewritten final submission. A bit more restrictive.

1. How do I come up with a good idea for my UP1 paper?

There is no one right way to come up with a good idea for your UP1 paper, but here are a few suggestions:

• Start by brainstorming potential topics that interest you or that relate to your field of study.
  • Do some preliminary research to see what has already been written about your topic and identify any gaps or areas that have not been explored.
  • Talk to your professor or colleagues for their input and suggestions.
  • Consider current events or issues related to your field that you could address in your paper.

2. How can I make sure my idea is original?

To ensure that your idea is original, it is important to do some preliminary research on your topic to see what has already been written about it. You can also use plagiarism detection software to check your idea against existing papers to make sure it is not too similar to something that has already been published. Additionally, discussing your idea with your professor or colleagues can help you identify any potential overlaps or similarities with existing work.

3. How do I know if my idea is feasible for a UP1 paper?

To determine if your idea is feasible for a UP1 paper, consider the scope and requirements of the assignment. Does your idea fit within the parameters set by your professor? Is it a topic that can be adequately researched and written about within the given timeframe? Additionally, consider the availability of resources and information on your topic to determine if it is feasible for you to complete the paper.

4. Should I choose a topic I am familiar with or something new?

There is no right answer to this question as it depends on your personal preference and the requirements of the assignment. Some students may prefer to choose a topic they are already familiar with, as it can make the research and writing process easier. However, choosing a new topic can also be exciting and allow you to learn something new. Consider your interests, the requirements of the assignment, and the availability of resources when deciding on a topic.

5. How can I make my idea stand out?

To make your idea stand out, consider the unique angle or perspective you can bring to your topic. Is there a current issue or controversy within your field that you can address? Can you offer a new solution or approach to a problem? Additionally, make sure your idea is well-researched and supported by evidence to make it more compelling. Finally, consider your writing style and how you can make your paper engaging and interesting to readers.