I deriving equtions for projectile motion.

In summary: R=4hcos\Theta.In summary, the range R can be expressed as R=4hcot\Theta. When the range is at a maximum, the height is equal to one-fourth of the range. This can be derived mathematically by using the equations v(o)^2=2gh/sin\Theta and R=4hcos\Theta. The equation for height can be derived by drawing the flight path and dividing the range into four equal parts.
BarneyStinson

Homework Statement

Show that the range R can be expressed in terms of maximum height h, and in particular that R=4hcot[itex]\Theta[/itex]. Show that, when range is at a maximum, h=R/4

Homework Equations

R=(v(o)^2*2sin[itex]\Theta[/itex]cos[itex]\Theta[/itex])/g
v(y)^2=v(yo)^2-2gh

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the second equation to find a value for v(o)^2 to substitute into the first equation. I got:

v(o)^2=2gh/sin[itex]\Theta[/itex]

Plugged that into the first one:

R=(v(o)^2*2sin[itex]\Theta[/itex]cos[itex]\Theta[/itex])/g
R=(2gh*2sin[itex]\Theta[/itex]cos[itex]\Theta[/itex])/sin[itex]\Theta[/itex]g

Simplified to:

R=4hcos[itex]\Theta[/itex]

I don't know how to make it cot[itex]\Theta[/itex] instead of cos. Maybe i used the wrong equations or something.

For (b), I drew the flight path, dividing the range into 4 equal parts, then showed that the height is equal to one of the quarters of the range. I need to show it mathematically, any hints on that?

Thank you guys for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since my teacher never gave us the equation for height i posted above, he said we have to derive it ourselves... I have no idea how to do this, can you guys help me out?

And i still don't understand how to derive the equation R=h/4

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and then moves under the influence of gravity. Examples of projectiles include a thrown baseball, a kicked soccer ball, or a launched rocket.

What are the key equations for projectile motion?

The key equations for projectile motion are the equations for horizontal motion and vertical motion. The equation for horizontal motion is x = x0 + v0t, where x is the horizontal distance traveled, x0 is the initial horizontal position, v0 is the initial horizontal velocity, and t is time. The equation for vertical motion is y = y0 + v0t - 1/2gt2, where y is the vertical distance traveled, y0 is the initial vertical position, v0 is the initial vertical velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2), and t is time.

How do you derive equations for projectile motion?

To derive the equations for projectile motion, we use the principles of kinematics. Specifically, we use the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration to describe the motion of the projectile. By considering the motion in the horizontal and vertical directions separately, we can derive the two key equations for projectile motion.

What are some common misconceptions about projectile motion?

One common misconception about projectile motion is that the horizontal and vertical motions are independent of each other. In reality, the horizontal and vertical motions are interconnected, as the horizontal motion affects the vertical motion and vice versa. Another misconception is that the initial velocity in the vertical direction is always zero, when in fact it can be any value depending on the initial launch angle.

How is projectile motion used in real life?

Projectile motion is used in many real-life applications, such as sports, engineering, and science. In sports, understanding projectile motion can help in activities such as throwing a ball or hitting a golf ball. In engineering, projectile motion is important in designing and launching rockets and missiles. In science, projectile motion is used to study the motion of objects in space or to launch scientific instruments into the atmosphere.