1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help deriving equtions for projectile motion.

1. Sep 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the range R can be expressed in terms of maximum height h, and in particular that R=4hcot[itex]\Theta[/itex]. Show that, when range is at a maximum, h=R/4

2. Relevant equations

R=(v(o)^2*2sin[itex]\Theta[/itex]cos[itex]\Theta[/itex])/g
    v(y)^2=v(yo)^2-2gh

3. The attempt at a solution

I used the second equation to find a value for v(o)^2 to substitute into the first equation. I got:

v(o)^2=2gh/sin[itex]\Theta[/itex]

Plugged that into the first one:

R=(v(o)^2*2sin[itex]\Theta[/itex]cos[itex]\Theta[/itex])/g
    R=(2gh*2sin[itex]\Theta[/itex]cos[itex]\Theta[/itex])/sin[itex]\Theta[/itex]g

Simplified to:

R=4hcos[itex]\Theta[/itex]

I don't know how to make it cot[itex]\Theta[/itex] instead of cos. Maybe i used the wrong equations or something.

For (b), I drew the flight path, dividing the range into 4 equal parts, then showed that the height is equal to one of the quarters of the range. I need to show it mathematically, any hints on that?

Thank you guys for any help.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2011 #2
  4. Sep 27, 2011 #3
    Since my teacher never gave us the equation for height i posted above, he said we have to derive it ourselves... I have no idea how to do this, can you guys help me out?

And i still dont understand how to derive the equation R=h/4

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook