I evaluating this vector product identity

In summary, The problem is to evaluate the vector expression Del X (A X B) which is written as (B*DEL)A- (A*DEL)B +A(DEL*B) -B(DEL * A) using standard mathematical order of operations. The author's intention is unclear as the dot product is commutative. The three possible methods to prove this vector identity are using tensor notation, tedious expansion in rectangular coordinate system, or waving arms wildly and stating that the x, y, and z components are equal. This assumes knowledge of expanding vector terms.
sunnyslumber

Homework Statement

The problem is written as:

Del X (A X B) = (B*DEL)A- (A*DEL)B +A(DEL*B) -B(DEL * A)

where * = dot. I don't know how to evaluate this because if the author meant for the standard mathematical order of operations to apply it makes since they wouldn't have worried about the sequence of the statements (since the dot product iscommutative). Every way I'm working it its coming up wrong.

Can anyone help? I just need to know how to evaluate the expression.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that what you've been ask to do is to prove this vector identity, which is what it is. There are at least two ways to do this, perhaps three. The simplest way, and one which is independent of any particular coordinate system, is to use tensor notation ( a vector is a tensor of rank 1), but I'm guessing you are not familiar with tensors.

Another much more tedious method is to prove its true in the rectangular coordinate system; this doesn't make it necessarily true for vectors in general, but it may suffice for your purposes. Basically what your do is start by expanding both sides. Then sum all the x components on the right side, and you'll see that the resulting x components are the same on both sides. Then wave your arms wildly and say that by the same process, the y and z components are equal (which they are), or continue the tedium if you must.

All this assumes you know how to expand each of the five vector terms.

1. What is the vector product identity?

The vector product identity, also known as the cross product identity, is a mathematical formula that relates the cross product of two vectors to their dot product. It states that the cross product of two vectors is equal to the dot product of one vector with the cross product of the other vector with the first vector.

2. How can the vector product identity be used in scientific research?

The vector product identity is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the torque, or rotational force, on an object. It can also be used to calculate the direction of a magnetic field in relation to a current-carrying wire.

3. What are the applications of the vector product identity in real-world situations?

In addition to its uses in physics and engineering, the vector product identity has applications in computer graphics, robotics, and navigation systems. It can be used to calculate the orientation of objects in 3D space and to determine the direction and magnitude of forces acting on an object.

4. How do you prove the vector product identity?

The vector product identity can be proven using geometric and algebraic methods. It involves expanding the cross product of two vectors using the properties of determinants and then simplifying the resulting expression using the properties of the dot product.

5. Are there any limitations to the vector product identity?

While the vector product identity is a useful mathematical tool, it is only applicable to three-dimensional vectors. It also assumes that the vectors are orthogonal, or perpendicular, to each other. Additionally, it only works for right-handed coordinate systems.