I figuring out an anniversary gift for my physicist boyfriend

• Thread starter agirlfriend
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
In summary, the conversation revolves around the person's boyfriend who is a physicist and the person is looking for a meaningful gift for their 4th anniversary. The person is unsure if there are any suitable gifts related to his field and mentions ThinkGeek as a potential option, but also considers getting something unrelated to his field to give him a break from schoolwork. Other suggestions include a comfortable office chair, a jacket, a glass Klein bottle, or a slide rule. The conversation also briefly touches on the rivalry between loop quantum gravity and string theory.
agirlfriend
I'm a historian, I don't know much about physics. My boyfriend and I are coming up on our 4th anniversary and I want to get him something related to his field and meaningful. He's focused so much on school, since he just started graduate school. He's trying to get into the loop quantum gravity group. Do I even stand a chance of finding anything?

Physics news on Phys.org
If he's focused so much on school, maybe something unrelated to what he's focused on is a better idea.
Like if I spent all day doing physics calculations, I would probably want something to get my mind off of it.

Think Geek has some nice stuff:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gifts/

Loop gravity makes me think about a hangman - there is a loop and there is gravity.

Thanks y'all. I love ThinkGeek, but we have most of that stuff. And he wants something that's not going to distract him... I was given specific instructions lol. I was trying to get a 3D printer for the both of us, but he said absolutely not..

If a physicist goes get a historian girlfriend, would he appreciate more having a gift of some historical value? :wink:

Maybe something to give him a different perspective to look at things? I cannot read into his mind but often I notice that quite a few people around me enjoy different and new things that they haven't seen before.

agirlfriend said:
Thanks y'all. I love ThinkGeek, but we have most of that stuff. And he wants something that's not going to distract him... I was given specific instructions lol. I was trying to get a 3D printer for the both of us, but he said absolutely not..

If he's buried in schoolwork, I suppose he has to sit *a lot*. A nice chair can make all the difference, so an office chair, maybe? And it's not distracting at all :biggrin:!

lisab said:
If he's buried in schoolwork, I suppose he has to sit *a lot*. A nice chair can make all the difference, so an office chair, maybe? And it's not distracting at all :biggrin:!

Unless the chair has wheels!

My first thought wouldn't have been something tangible. But I guess that's not appropriate here.

Get him a jacket. The winter is coming, and it will remind him of you every time he wears it.

Perhaps a glass Klein bottle? It seems fitting to me. It may not make much sense to you but he will know exactly what this is.
3%20botsclaserlqm.jpg

http://www.kleinbottle.com/whats_a_klein_bottle.htm

You could go TP a few string theorist's houses together with him...I watched that episode of Big Bang Theory... apparently LQG people and string theorists hate each other.

Get him a slide rule. Historical and useful.

http://www.antiquark.com/sliderule/sim/n4es/virtual-n4es.html

The one above is a dual base hyperbolic speed rule and very cool. I have a real one just like it, except mine isn't rusty.

Other variations can be found here:

http://www.antiquark.com/sliderule/sim/index.html

The guy that created that website has a thing for Picketts. The best real slide rules are Hemmi, Post, or Teledyne (actually, all three brands were made by Hemmi). The bamboo slide rules just have a real nice feel to them.

http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/post.html

1. What kind of gift would be appropriate for a physicist?

As a scientist, your boyfriend likely appreciates gifts that are thoughtful and intellectually stimulating. Consider getting him a book on a topic he's interested in, a puzzle or game that involves problem-solving, or a piece of equipment for his lab or experiments.

2. Should I get my physicist boyfriend a gift related to his specific field of study?

It depends on the individual and their specific interests. If your boyfriend is passionate about his field, he may appreciate a gift that relates to it. However, if he prefers to keep work and personal life separate, it may be better to choose a gift that is unrelated to his field of study.

3. How can I make the gift more meaningful for a physicist?

Consider personalizing the gift or adding a thoughtful note that connects the gift to his interests or your relationship. Also, think about incorporating elements of science or physics into the gift, such as a pun or inside joke related to his work.

4. Is there a specific budget I should stick to for a physicist's anniversary gift?

There is no set budget for an anniversary gift. It's more important to choose a gift that is meaningful and considerate of your boyfriend's interests and preferences. If you are on a tight budget, consider making something yourself or finding a creative, low-cost gift that still reflects your thoughtfulness.

5. Should I get my physicist boyfriend a practical or sentimental gift?

Again, it depends on your boyfriend's personality and preferences. Some physicists may appreciate a practical gift that they can use in their work or daily life, while others may prefer a sentimental gift that reminds them of your relationship. Consider your boyfriend's personality and interests when deciding on the type of gift to give.