Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help figuring out an anniversary gift for my physicist boyfriend

1. Oct 3, 2012 #1
    I'm a historian, I don't know much about physics. My boyfriend and I are coming up on our 4th anniversary and I want to get him something related to his field and meaningful. He's focused so much on school, since he just started graduate school. He's trying to get into the loop quantum gravity group. Do I even stand a chance of finding anything?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2012 #2
    If he's focused so much on school, maybe something unrelated to what he's focused on is a better idea.
    Like if I spent all day doing physics calculations, I would probably want something to get my mind off of it.

4. Oct 5, 2012 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Oct 5, 2012 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Loop gravity makes me think about a hangman - there is a loop and there is gravity.

6. Oct 5, 2012 #5
    Thanks y'all. I love ThinkGeek, but we have most of that stuff. And he wants something that's not going to distract him... I was given specific instructions lol. I was trying to get a 3D printer for the both of us, but he said absolutely not..

7. Oct 5, 2012 #6
    If a physicist goes get a historian girlfriend, would he appreciate more having a gift of some historical value? :wink:

Maybe something to give him a different perspective to look at things? I cannot read into his mind but often I notice that quite a few people around me enjoy different and new things that they haven't seen before.

8. Oct 6, 2012 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If he's buried in schoolwork, I suppose he has to sit *a lot*. A nice chair can make all the difference, so an office chair, maybe? And it's not distracting at all :biggrin:!

9. Oct 6, 2012 #8

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Unless the chair has wheels!

10. Oct 7, 2012 #9
    My first thought wouldn't have been something tangible. But I guess that's not appropriate here.

Get him a jacket. The winter is coming, and it will remind him of you every time he wears it.

11. Oct 19, 2012 #10

IMP

12. Oct 24, 2012 #11

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could go TP a few string theorist's houses together with him...I watched that episode of Big Bang Theory... apparently LQG people and string theorists hate each other.

13. Oct 24, 2012 #12

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Get him a slide rule. Historical and useful.

http://www.antiquark.com/sliderule/sim/n4es/virtual-n4es.html

The one above is a dual base hyperbolic speed rule and very cool. I have a real one just like it, except mine isn't rusty.

Other variations can be found here:

http://www.antiquark.com/sliderule/sim/index.html

The guy that created that website has a thing for Picketts. The best real slide rules are Hemmi, Post, or Teledyne (actually, all three brands were made by Hemmi). The bamboo slide rules just have a real nice feel to them.

http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/post.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook