1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help figuring out the kg of ice can you melt

1. Mar 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The exact question is "how many kg of ice can you melt, assuming it is at the melting point, with 178,000 cal of heat"

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can't give any other imformation. I have know idea where to even, start with solving this problem. I really need help! Big test tomorrow...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2012 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well how much Joules is 178,000 calories? What formula will show you the energy required to melt 'm' kilograms of ice? (Hint: what equation do you use for heat required to change the phase of a substance? Not sensible heat but?)

4. Mar 28, 2012 #3
    The equation for heat I believe is Q = mcΔT or Q=cpmΔT
    I am still totally lost. I have no ideas how many joules are in 178,000 calories all this looks pretty foreign to me. I need help breaking this down, to have any chance of passing this test tomorrow.

5. Mar 28, 2012 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Right, that's the equation if I want to find how much heat I need to raise the temperature of something. That's called sensible heat.

Have you ever heard of latent heat?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook