I finding resultants using sine/cosine law

In summary: Congratulations on your success in finding the resultant.Both methods- the law of cosines and vector components- work well when applied to a problem with more than two vectors. It may be easier to use vector components because they are more direct.
EddyBenzen122
Homework Statement
None.
Relevant Equations
None.
I need help finding the resultant with vectors: 37.5N[NE] and 45N[21° S of E]
I just don't know a way to find the angles within this triangle to help me get the resultant, so can anybody help me out?
1632441291993.png

Physics news on Phys.org
According to forum rules, you must show some effort towards the solution before you get help. Please do so. Also, sine/cosine law is not an equation.

kuruman said:
According to forum rules, you must show some effort towards the solution before you get help. Please do so. Also, sine/cosine law is not an equation.
This is the best I could! I only need someone to help me figure out how I could find the angles within the triangle given so that I could find the resultant on my own.

EddyBenzen122 said:
This is the best I could! I only need someone to help me figure out how I could find the angles within the triangle given so that I could find the resultant on my own.
Project the first vector out beyond the tail of the second one. What is the angle between them?

haruspex said:
Project the first vector out beyond the tail of the second one. What is the angle between them?
Is this what you mean?
1632445129689.png

EddyBenzen122 said:
Is this what you mean?
View attachment 289612
Yes, I'm asking what the value of theta is in that diagram. But it does not depend on the force magnitudes, only on their directions.

You could, but you don't need to work with that triangle's angles to get the resultant.
The resultant is the vector-sum using the tip-to-tail "treasure map" method.
You are given enough information to get the x- and y-components of each given vector, and thus get the resultant.
Then you could use the resultant to get (say) the angle theta between that resultant and the first vector [using the dot product or law of cosines].

Likes EddyBenzen122
neilparker62 said:
I was able to solve it using the idea of interior alternates to find the angle opposite to the resultant and then I found the resultant using cosine law afterwards. That's all I really need for help, thanks, everyone!

EddyBenzen122 said:
I was able to solve it using the idea of interior alternates to find the angle opposite to the resultant and then I found the resultant using cosine law afterwards. That's all I really need for help, thanks, everyone!

In my experience, many introductory students don’t know the law of cosines (which comes from the dot product of two vectors). So, congratulations.

To me, the problem suggests the tip-to-tail method for adding vectors graphically, but suggesting (from what it gave as given) one should add using components.

For two forces, either method (law of cosines or vector components) works well if one can construct the necessary quantities.
However, for more than two vectors, using vector components is likely easier and more direct.
(This method can be implemented in a computer program more easily than using the law of cosines several times in progression .)
So, learning to use components will likely be useful.

My $0.02.

Likes EddyBenzen122

What is the sine law?

The sine law, also known as the law of sines, is a mathematical rule used to find the unknown sides or angles of a triangle when given certain information. It states that the ratio of a side length to the sine of its opposite angle is constant for all sides and angles in a triangle.

What is the cosine law?

The cosine law, also known as the law of cosines, is another mathematical rule used to find the unknown sides or angles of a triangle. It is used when given information about two sides and the included angle, or all three sides of a triangle. It states that the square of a side length is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides minus twice the product of those sides and the cosine of the included angle.

When should I use the sine law?

The sine law is typically used when given information about two angles and one side of a triangle, or when given information about two sides and the non-included angle. It is also useful when dealing with oblique triangles, which are triangles that do not have a right angle.

When should I use the cosine law?

The cosine law is typically used when given information about two sides and the included angle, or when given information about all three sides of a triangle. It is also useful when dealing with acute triangles, which are triangles that have all angles less than 90 degrees.

What are the steps for finding resultants using sine/cosine law?

The general steps for finding resultants using sine/cosine law are as follows:

1. Identify the given information and label the triangle accordingly.
  2. Determine which law (sine or cosine) is appropriate to use based on the given information.
  3. Plug in the known values into the appropriate formula and solve for the unknown side or angle.
  4. Check your answer by plugging in the known values and the calculated value into the law used to ensure they are equal.