Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help finding the A/I/B thread prefixes

1. Dec 20, 2016 #1
    I am new to this forum. Some area of study differentiate between expert and amateur. I am an amateur. When I post how do I make sure I choose that designation?
    I am really old and not good at finding the right tab.
    Thanks for helping

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

When you create a thread you can choose between the labels B for beginner, I for intermediate, and A for advanced.
    It is roughly meant to be B - High School, I - undergraduate and A - expert. This label shall determine the kind of answer you may expect and which is appropriate, e.g. the amount and kind of formulas an answer should have. It also affects the language of an answer. It is not meant to classify the question or the field of a particular question, because even the simplest things can be seen in very different perspectives. E.g. if we talk about symmetries, we could talk about the symmetries of geometric objects or transformations, Emmy Noether's theorem of invariant quantities in differential equations, or end up with vector fields.

4. Dec 20, 2016 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The Prefixes are available only in some of the Physics and Math forums, I believe. When you start a new thread there, look to the left of the Title window, and you will see the Prefix pull-down button. :smile:

5. Feb 26, 2017 #4
    Thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted