I finding the EV of the possible outcomes

• I
  • Thread starter Alanay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ev
In summary, the speaker is developing a Bitcoin gambling game and is seeking help from mathematicians to determine the "kelly criterion" or expected value of different outcomes in the game. The game involves choosing a range of numbers and betting on whether the randomly generated range will include certain criteria such as prime or even numbers. Players can also click on individual numbers to make specific bets. The payout for each type of bet varies, with a 250% payout for choosing a range and a 112.5% payout for correctly predicting a prime number. The speaker mentions that the bank always has to win and suggests simulating games to determine the expected values. Some confusion exists among team members regarding the specifics of the game.
Alanay
I'm making a Bitcoin gambling game with some developers. But I need help from you crazy good mathematicians out there! I need to know the "kelly criteron" or "EV" of the possible outcomes in the game.

How the game works:

The game is basically a grid of 1-100 numbers. Every 10 seconds a number range will be generated. So you choose to bet on 40-60 so that the generated range won't crash into your bet range. You will get a 250% payout. 200% for the 20 numbers. 50% for the 5 prime numbers in there. So prime numbers are your friend!

You can also click once on any number. If you click on a prime number you are betting the generated range will not crash into at least 1 prime number, if you're correct you will get a 112.5% payout. If you click on only one even or odd number you're betting there will be more of that number (even or odd) in the total range that is not crashed into. So If I click on an even number and the generated range is 21-31 I will win, the payout would be 150%. Because between 21 and 31 there are more even numbers.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If the Kelly criterion tells players to bet any money, your game is broken. The bank always has to win.

You can freely choose the range to bet on?
How does the generated number range get determined? For most reasonable systems, I guess betting on the first N numbers will be the most efficient bet.

What is payout if you bet on an even number and the generated range is 20-29?
If you pick a prime, are odd numbers also included (or even numbers for 2)?

Why don't you just simulate enough games to determine the expectation values?

mfb said:
If the Kelly criterion tells players to bet any money, your game is broken. The bank always has to win.

You can freely choose the range to bet on?
How does the generated number range get determined? For most reasonable systems, I guess betting on the first N numbers will be the most efficient bet.

What is payout if you bet on an even number and the generated range is 20-29?
If you pick a prime, are odd numbers also included (or even numbers for 2)?

Why don't you just simulate enough games to determine the expectation values?
They freely bet what range or even/odd/a prime they will to choose during a 10 second count down until the next random range is chosen. If the next random range is 10-90 and I chose a range within that range I win but if I chose something like 5-15 then I crashed into 5 tiles and I lose.

If they bet an even number and it the random range is 20-29 they lose, they only win if it's mostly evens. So they have a 1 in 3 chance.

If you pick a prime and you chose an even prime then odd primes are still included yes. It just has to be any prime number.

We will be working on prototypes soon but I need to make sure the team all know exactly how it works before we start. Some of them got a little confused with small things.

Last edited:
Alanay said:
If they bet an even number and it the random range is 20-29 they lose, they only win if it's mostly evens. So they have a 1 in 3 chance.
1 out of 4, approximately (a bit less), for some reasonable assumptions about your still unspecified algorithm to generate the random range.
Alanay said:
If you pick a prime and you chose an even prime then odd primes are still included yes. It just has to be any prime number.
That was not my question.
I pick 7, the random range is 8-14. Do I win the "mostly odd" payout?
I pick 7, the random range is 14-16. Do I win the "mostly odd" and the "prime number" payout?

No if you choose a prime number you're only betting the range will include a prime number. If you want to be an even/odd then bet on one that isn't a prime number.

What is the EV (expected value) of a set of possible outcomes?

The EV is a measure of the expected outcome of a random experiment. It is calculated by multiplying the probability of each outcome by its respective value and summing them together.

How is the EV calculated?

The EV is calculated by multiplying the probability of each outcome by its value and summing them together. This formula can be written as EV = ∑(probability * value).

Why is the EV important in scientific research?

The EV is important because it allows researchers to make predictions about the outcome of their experiments. It provides a quantitative measure of the expected results, which can be compared to the actual results to assess the effectiveness of the experiment.

What factors can affect the EV of a set of possible outcomes?

The EV can be affected by various factors such as the probability of each outcome, the value assigned to each outcome, and the sample size of the experiment. Other external factors, such as bias or error, can also impact the EV.

How can the EV be used in decision making?

The EV can be used in decision making by providing a quantitative measure of the potential outcomes. It allows for comparison between different options and can help determine the most favorable course of action. However, it should be noted that the EV is only one aspect to consider in decision making and other factors, such as risk and personal preferences, should also be taken into account.