Help: High School Physics Basics

In summary, Projectile motion on the moon is similar to the Earth, but with a different acceleration due to gravity (g/6). The formula for average speed while falling (Vave= (1/2)v) applies only to bodies starting with 0 velocity.
UltraPhysical
I am a high school student who needs help understanding some aspects of Physics. My main areas of deficiency are: Average Speed while falling for time,t: Vave= (1/2)v , and projectile motion on the moon.
(1/2)at
I am really struggling to grasp these concepts so please dumb it down for me.

thank you,

UltraPhysical

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by UltraPhysical
I am a high school student who needs help understanding some aspects of Physics. My main areas of deficiency are: Average Speed while falling for time,t: Vave= (1/2)v ,

A falling body accelerates at g, so if at time t0 your falling body has veloicity V0 some at later time say t1 it will have a velocity V1. The average velocity will be

[tex] V_{ave} = \frac {V_1 + V_0} 2[/tex]

This is the same average that you should be used to when averaging any set of numbers. Now if you are considering a body which starts at rest V0=0 so the average velocity is simply V1/2 which appears to be the formula you have. A key thing to know is that this only applies to a body which is starting with 0 velocity.

and projectile motion on the moon.
(1/2)at
The only difference between projectile motion on the Earth and the moon is the value of the acceleration due to gravity. That of the moon is usually taken as g/6.

I am not sure what the expression you have written is or what it has to do with projectile motion, it represents half the velocity at some some time t. (Perhaps an average?)
I am really struggling to grasp these concepts so please dumb it down for me.

thank you,

UltraPhysical

That help any?

Last edited:

Hi UltraPhysical,

I'm happy to help you understand these concepts in Physics. Let's start with average speed while falling for time,t. This refers to the average speed of an object as it falls for a certain amount of time. The formula you mentioned, Vave= (1/2)v + (1/2)at, is the equation for average speed, where v is the initial velocity and a is the acceleration due to gravity. To calculate the average speed, you would need to know the initial velocity and the acceleration due to gravity. The acceleration due to gravity on Earth is 9.8 m/s^2, but it may be different on the moon. You can use this formula to calculate the average speed of an object as it falls.

Now, let's talk about projectile motion on the moon. Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves in a curved path due to the force of gravity. On the moon, the acceleration due to gravity is 1.6 m/s^2, which is much less than on Earth. This means that objects will fall slower on the moon compared to Earth. To calculate the motion of an object on the moon, you can use the same equations as you would on Earth, but with a different value for acceleration due to gravity.

I hope this helps you understand these concepts better. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. Keep working hard and don't give up, you got this! Best of luck in your studies.

What topics are covered in "Help: High School Physics Basics"?

The topics covered in "Help: High School Physics Basics" include motion, forces, energy, electricity, magnetism, and waves.

Do I need prior knowledge in physics to understand this resource?

No, "Help: High School Physics Basics" is designed to provide a solid foundation in high school level physics for students with no prior knowledge in the subject.

Are there practice problems or quizzes included in this resource?

Yes, "Help: High School Physics Basics" includes practice problems and quizzes to help students reinforce their understanding of the concepts covered.

Is this resource suitable for all high school grade levels?

Yes, "Help: High School Physics Basics" covers fundamental concepts that are typically taught in all high school physics courses, making it suitable for students in all grade levels.

Can I use this resource as a supplement to my current physics textbook?

Yes, "Help: High School Physics Basics" can be used as a supplement to any high school physics textbook. It provides additional explanations, examples, and practice problems to help students better understand the material.