I from a cosmologist big time. (questions about relic densities, etc.)

• Thread starter shirosato
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, as a cosmologist, I study the evolution and structure of the universe on a large scale. This includes understanding the distribution and formation of celestial bodies, as well as examining the fundamental laws of physics that govern the universe. One important aspect of my research is determining the relic densities of various particles and how they contribute to the overall composition of the universe. By examining these densities, I am able to gain a better understanding of the origins and evolution of our universe.
shirosato
Short intro.: I'm a M.Sc. student finishing up a thesis on DM from a HEP aspect. My background in particle physics is ok, but I have had a lot of trouble with the cosmology aspects. Any help would be appreciated since I can't seem to find clear, concise answers for them with references (maybe the answers are necessarily long).

1) Why do people tend to use little h in place of H for Hubble's constant. And what's with the units? To make it of order unity? To embed error? (read that somewhere)

2) Why is the relic density expressed as omega h^2 instead of simply omega? And why as a fraction of the critical density as opposed to the actual total density? That last question is probably a result of a very weak knowledge of FLRW but I feel I should ask.

3) I've heard several times about the analysis of the CMB to obtain the matter-energy content of the universe using a multipole expansion on the power spectrum. The units seem quite confusing and perhaps I should review basic multipole expansion, but I can't seem to see a simple way to understand the basic analysis. If this necessitates a good reference, please recommend me one.

Thanks!
Shiro

Space news on Phys.org
1. Unsure about 'h' for the Hubble constant. 'h' is normally reserved for the Heisenberg uncertainty thing.
2. relic density is dependant on usage.
3. See http://arxiv.org/abs/1012.3191

1) The h is there to convey the error in the measurement of Hubble's constant. At least that's what I assume your talking about. E.g. you could have (nothing physical here): r = 100h km where h would conventionally be taken to be ~ 0.72 if we have a Hubble constant of:

[tex]
H = 72 \pm ( {\rm{Error}} ) {\rm{km}} {\rm{s}}^{-1} {\rm{Mpc}}^{-1} .
[/tex]

This is somewhat more historical when people would not wish to make explicit assumptions about the value of Hubble's constant as it was somewhat poorly constrained in the past few decades. It's just a convenient parameterisation to account for that.

2) The energy density is defined as:

[tex]
\Omega_i (t) = \frac{\rho}{\rho_c}
[/tex]

where

[tex]
\rho_c = \frac{3 H^2}{8 \pi G} .
[/tex]

So the reason that energy densities can be defined in terms of some Hubble parameter, h, is due to the explicit dependence on Hubble's constant, H, and our wish to not make an explicit assumption about the value of H. Again, a convenient parameterisation to avoid explicit assumptions about the cosmological model used.

Forgot to mention: A reason we often calculate things relative to some critical density is that this critical density is something of a characteristic scale for the density in an FRW Universe. It gives us something convenient to compare densities with and acts, in this case, as something of a normalisation. If [tex] \rho > \rho_c [/tex] we have an overdense Universe -> Spherical geometry/Closed [tex] S^3 [/tex], if [tex] \rho = \rho_c [/tex] we have critically dense Universe -> Flat geometry [tex] E^3 [/tex] and if [tex] \rho < \rho_c [/tex] we have an underdense Universe -> Hyperbolic geomtry/Open [tex] H^3 [/tex].

3) As above! Also check out WMAP stuff in general: http://lambda.gsfc.nasa.gov/product/map/current/map_bibliography.cfm

Last edited:
shirosato said:
1) Why do people tend to use little h in place of H for Hubble's constant. And what's with the units? To make it of order unity? To embed error? (read that somewhere)
The small h is a dimensionless parameter to encode the expansion. Many cosmological observations depend trivially upon the expansion rate, and so before we had a good handle on what the expansion rate was, astrophysicists/cosmologists embedded h in their units, with h defined as:
[tex]h = {H_0 \over 100km/s/Mpc}[/tex]

As for why we use units of [itex]km/s/Mpc[/tex], that, a with many things in physics, is down to history. Megaparsecs are a common unit used for large distances, such as the distances between galaxies, and km/s are a convenient unit for the motions of galaxies (typically galaxy motions are on the order of a few hundred km/s).

shirosato said:
2) Why is the relic density expressed as omega h^2 instead of simply omega? And why as a fraction of the critical density as opposed to the actual total density? That last question is probably a result of a very weak knowledge of FLRW but I feel I should ask.
[itex]\Omega[/itex] is a density fraction, not a density. [itex]\Omega h^2[/itex] is a dimensionless matter density. You can see this by looking at the first Friedmann equation:
[tex]H^2 = {8 \pi G \over 3 \rho}[/tex]

With matter and a cosmological constant, for instance, this can be written as:
[tex]H(a)^2 = H_0^2\left({\Omega_m \over a^3} + \Omega_\Lambda\right)[/tex]

Here what I've done is expressed the matter densities in terms of the fraction of the total density today ([itex]\Omega_m + \Omega_\Lambda = 1[/itex], [itex]a = 1[/itex] today), and factored in the effect of the expansion on the density of each type of matter/energy.

Now, one thing to notice here is that the units work out so that multiplying a density fraction by the Hubble expansion rate squared give something that behaves like density. This is useful for observations where the observation is sensitive to the total density of a certain form of matter, but not to the density fraction (as is the case with WMAP, for instance).

shirosato said:
3) I've heard several times about the analysis of the CMB to obtain the matter-energy content of the universe using a multipole expansion on the power spectrum. The units seem quite confusing and perhaps I should review basic multipole expansion, but I can't seem to see a simple way to understand the basic analysis. If this necessitates a good reference, please recommend me one.
Well, first we take a spherical harmonic transform of the map:
[tex]a_{\ell m} = \int_\Omega m(\theta, \phi) Y_\ell^{m*}(\theta, \phi)d\Omega[/tex]
Since the spherical harmonics [itex]Y_\ell^m[/itex] are dimensionless, the spherical harmonic coefficients [itex]a_{\ell m}[/itex] have the same units as the map units (typically kelvin, millikelvin, or microkelvin). The power spectrum is then:

[tex]C_\ell = {1 \over 2\ell + 1} \sum_{m = -\ell}^{\ell} a_{\ell m} a^*_{\ell m}[/tex]

Thus the power spectrum necessarily has units that are the square of the spherical harmonic coefficient units, which is the square of temperature.

The reason why the map units are in temperature, by the way, is because the CMB fluctuations are temperature fluctuations.

Dear Shiro,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your thesis on dark matter from a high energy physics perspective. I understand that the cosmology aspects have been challenging for you, and I am happy to provide some guidance and resources to help you better understand the concepts you mentioned.

1) The use of little h in place of H for Hubble's constant is a convention that is commonly used in cosmology. It is used to account for the uncertainty in the value of the Hubble constant, which is currently estimated to be around 70 km/s/Mpc. By using little h, we can easily adjust the value of Hubble's constant in our calculations without having to change the units. As for the units, they are typically expressed in km/s/Mpc to make it easier to compare the expansion rate of the universe to the distances between galaxies.

2) The relic density is expressed as omega h^2 instead of simply omega because it is a more accurate and precise way of measuring the amount of dark matter in the universe. Omega h^2 takes into account the uncertainty in the value of the Hubble constant, as well as the fact that the density of dark matter may vary with time. It is also expressed as a fraction of the critical density because it allows us to compare the amount of dark matter to the total amount of matter needed to make the universe flat. This is important in understanding the overall structure and evolution of the universe.

3) The analysis of the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) is a complex and specialized field in cosmology. It involves studying the fluctuations in the CMB radiation to extract information about the matter-energy content of the universe. The units used in this analysis are usually expressed in terms of angular scales (multipole moments) and the temperature fluctuations in the CMB. I would recommend reviewing the basics of multipole expansion and studying the CMB power spectrum in more detail to better understand the analysis process. A good reference for this would be "Cosmology" by Steven Weinberg.

I hope this helps answer your questions and provides some direction for further study. Best of luck with your thesis!

Sincerely,

1. What is a cosmologist?

A cosmologist is a scientist who studies the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe, including its physical laws and components.

2. What is a relic density?

Relic density refers to the amount of matter or particles left over from the early stages of the universe, which can provide clues about the universe's history and evolution.

3. Why is studying relic densities important?

Studying relic densities can help cosmologists understand the composition and structure of the universe, as well as shed light on fundamental questions about the origins of the universe and its evolution over time.

4. How do cosmologists measure relic densities?

Cosmologists use various methods and tools, such as telescopes, satellites, and computer simulations, to measure and analyze the relic densities of different types of particles and matter in the universe.

5. What are some potential implications of studying relic densities?

Studying relic densities can have implications for a wide range of fields, including particle physics, astrophysics, and cosmology. It can also provide insights into the nature of dark matter and dark energy, as well as potential theories about the origins of the universe.