Ii cant seem to figure this out

• Thread starter 1waystrpark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
This can be calculated using the Lorentz transformation equations and the speed of light as a constant. In summary, the meter stick would appear shorter to the observer due to time dilation, which can be calculated using the Lorentz transformation equations and the speed of light.
1waystrpark

Homework Statement

IF a meter stick travels at the speed of light relative to an observer, how long does the meter stick appear to the observer? show you calculations.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show an attempt as per PF guidelines.

Jared

if speed of light is 299 792 458 m / s would the meter stick also seem this long?

I think this is an important point from a past thread:
DaveC426913 said:
Trick question. You should not *get* a reasonable answer. Why?

I've deliberately removed the post reference as I can't give you the full answer, but if you give it a shot I can help.

Note: Credit goes to DaveC and Co from the other thread for this answer.

Are you required to give a numerical answer? I see that "IF" is in capitals in the OP and so I'd assume they want a bit more than a blunt statement.

Jared

I would like to clarify that a meter stick cannot travel at the speed of light relative to an observer. This is because the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit in the universe and it is impossible for any object with mass to reach or exceed this speed. Therefore, the premise of this question is not physically possible.

However, if we consider the hypothetical scenario where a meter stick is traveling at a speed very close to the speed of light, we can use the principles of special relativity to calculate the apparent length of the meter stick as observed by the observer.

According to special relativity, the length of an object appears shorter when it is moving at high speeds relative to an observer. This phenomenon is known as length contraction and can be expressed using the Lorentz factor (γ).

The Lorentz factor (γ) is given by the equation:

γ = 1/√(1 - v^2/c^2)

Where v is the speed of the meter stick and c is the speed of light.

In this scenario, let's assume that the meter stick is traveling at a speed of 0.99c (99% of the speed of light) relative to the observer.

Substituting the values in the equation, we get:

γ = 1/√(1 - (0.99c)^2/c^2)

γ = 1/√(1 - 0.9801)

γ = 1/√0.0199

γ = 1/0.141

γ = 7.07

This means that the meter stick will appear 7.07 times shorter to the observer. Therefore, if the actual length of the meter stick is 1 meter, it will appear to be 1/7.07 = 0.141 meters to the observer.

In conclusion, it is not physically possible for a meter stick to travel at the speed of light relative to an observer. However, if we consider a scenario where it is traveling at a speed very close to the speed of light, the apparent length of the meter stick can be calculated using the principles of special relativity.

1. Why am I struggling to figure this out?

There could be a variety of reasons for this struggle. It could be due to lack of prior knowledge or understanding, unclear instructions or materials, or simply a difficult concept. It's important to identify the specific issue and seek help or resources to overcome it.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Problem-solving skills can be improved through practice and exposure to different types of problems. It's also helpful to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, and to seek out resources or guidance from others.

3. Is it normal to struggle with certain topics or concepts?

Yes, it is completely normal to struggle with certain topics or concepts. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses, and some concepts may be more challenging for some individuals. It's important to not get discouraged and to continue seeking help and resources.

4. How can I stay motivated when I can't figure something out?

Staying motivated can be difficult when facing a challenging problem. It can be helpful to take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective, or to seek support from peers or mentors. Setting small achievable goals can also help to maintain motivation.

5. How can I ask for help without feeling embarrassed?

Asking for help can be intimidating, but it's important to remember that everyone needs help at some point. It can be helpful to approach the individual in a calm and respectful manner, and to explain specifically what you are struggling with. Seeking help also shows a willingness to learn and improve, which is admirable.