I i dont even know where to start o_O

• Thread starter vincikai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even
In summary, researchers are using sound pulses to measure the average temperature of the ocean and track global warming. By measuring the time it takes for sound waves to travel underwater, they can determine the sound speed and calculate the average temperature. In one experiment, they found that the sound speed increases by _____ for every 1.0C increase in temperature. To accurately measure temperature changes, the smallest time change that can be detected is 1.0 s.
vincikai
i need help! i don't even know where to start o_O

One way to monitor global warming is to measure the average temperature of the ocean. Researchers are doing this by measuring the time it takes sound pulses to travel underwater over large distances. At a depth of 1000 m, where ocean temperatures hold steady near 4C, the average sound speed is . It's known from laboratory measurements that the sound speed increases for every 1.0C increase in temperature. In one experiment, where sounds generated near California are detected in the South Pacific, the sound waves travel 7600 .

If the smallest time change that can be reliably detected is 1.0 s, what is the smallest change in average temperature that can be measured?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is something missing from the question?
like: "The average sound speed is _____."

and: "...the sound speed increases _____ for every 1.0C increase in temperature."

I understand your concern and the complexity of this topic. To start, it is important to note that monitoring global warming is a multi-faceted process that involves various methods and data sources. One approach is to measure the average temperature of the ocean, which can provide valuable insights into the overall warming trend.

In this particular case, researchers are using sound pulses to measure the average temperature of the ocean. By analyzing the time it takes for the sound waves to travel over large distances, we can estimate the average speed of sound in the ocean. This method relies on the fact that sound speed increases with temperature, and we can use this relationship to calculate the average temperature of the ocean.

In the experiment described, we know that the sound waves travel 7600 km at a depth of 1000 m, where the average temperature is 4C. From laboratory measurements, we also know that the sound speed increases by 4.8 m/s for every 1.0C increase in temperature. Using this information, we can calculate the smallest change in temperature that can be reliably measured.

If the smallest time change that can be reliably detected is 1.0 s, then the smallest change in sound speed that can be measured is 4.8 m/s. Since we know that the sound speed increases by 4.8 m/s for every 1.0C increase in temperature, the smallest change in temperature that can be reliably measured is 1.0C.

In conclusion, while the process of monitoring global warming is complex and requires careful consideration, the use of sound pulses to measure ocean temperature can provide valuable insights. By understanding the relationship between sound speed and temperature, we can determine the smallest change in temperature that can be reliably measured in this method.

1. What does "I dont even know where to start o_O" mean?

"I dont even know where to start o_O" is a common phrase used to express confusion or being overwhelmed. It can also mean that one is unsure of how to approach a task or problem.

2. Is "I dont even know where to start o_O" a grammatically correct sentence?

No, "I dont even know where to start o_O" is not a grammatically correct sentence. It is missing proper punctuation and capitalization. However, it is often used informally in casual conversations.

3. Why do people use "I dont even know where to start o_O"?

People use this phrase to convey a sense of confusion or being overwhelmed. It can also be used to express a lack of knowledge or understanding about a particular topic or situation.

4. Is "I dont even know where to start o_O" a polite way to ask for help?

No, "I dont even know where to start o_O" is not considered a polite way to ask for help. It may come across as rude or dismissive. It is better to ask for help directly and politely, rather than using this phrase.

5. How can I respond to someone who says "I dont even know where to start o_O"?

You can respond by asking if they need help or clarification on the topic. You can also offer to break down the task or problem into smaller, manageable steps. This phrase can also be a cue for you to provide guidance or support to the person.