1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help i dont even know where to start o_O

1. Sep 2, 2006 #1
    i need help!! i dont even know where to start o_O

One way to monitor global warming is to measure the average temperature of the ocean. Researchers are doing this by measuring the time it takes sound pulses to travel underwater over large distances. At a depth of 1000 m, where ocean temperatures hold steady near 4C, the average sound speed is . It's known from laboratory measurements that the sound speed increases for every 1.0C increase in temperature. In one experiment, where sounds generated near California are detected in the South Pacific, the sound waves travel 7600 .

If the smallest time change that can be reliably detected is 1.0 s, what is the smallest change in average temperature that can be measured?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2006 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is something missing from the question?
    like: "The average sound speed is _____."

and: "...the sound speed increases _____ for every 1.0C increase in temperature."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?