1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Need Help Immediatly

1. Dec 13, 2004 #1
    I Need Help Immediatly!!

This is due tomorrow and i CANT figure it out! I am a 7th grade algebra student and once again THIS IS DUE TOMORROW!

Here is the problem:
    Suppose you have one square tile of each of these lengths: 1, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 14, 15, and 18 feet. How can you fit them together into a rectangle? (With no cutting or overlapping of course.) To answer, gitve the coordinates of the lower left corner of each square, starting with the square at (0,0).

I need as much help as i can get so PLEASE help! thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

HINT: Start with the largest square and work your way down! There are limited possibilities for each one.

SUGGESTION: Cut some scaled sized square out of paper and jump in!

4. Dec 13, 2004 #3
    I just did this problem using PC paint and a bunch of perfect squares. I'm not sure what it has to do with algebra though. :smile:

Anyhow, my advice is to start by figuring out where the unit square would have to go, then work up from there. (Hint: The unit square is going to have to be associated with some other squares that are only 1 unit different from each other). So take the unit square and just the squares that are 1 unit different from each other and figure out how they have to go. Then everything gets built up from there fairly easy. (hint 2: You won't get a rectangle until you're all finished - and its almost square!)

That's what I did and it all just fell right into place. I'm not sure how many ways it can be done, but it only took me about 5 minutes to do it the way I did it.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?