Can You Help Me Fit These Squares Into a Rectangle?

• Thread starter GuMdRop
  • Start date
In summary, a 7th grade algebra student is seeking help with a problem involving fitting different sized square tiles into a rectangle without cutting or overlapping. The suggestion is to start with the largest square and work down, and to use scaled paper or PC paint to visualize the solution. The key is to start with the unit square and determine its placement, then build up from there. The end result should be a nearly square rectangle.
GuMdRop
I Need Help Immediatly!

This is due tomorrow and i CANT figure it out! I am a 7th grade algebra student and once again THIS IS DUE TOMORROW!

Here is the problem:
Suppose you have one square tile of each of these lengths: 1, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 14, 15, and 18 feet. How can you fit them together into a rectangle? (With no cutting or overlapping of course.) To answer, gitve the coordinates of the lower left corner of each square, starting with the square at (0,0).

I need as much help as i can get so PLEASE help! thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: Start with the largest square and work your way down! There are limited possibilities for each one.

SUGGESTION: Cut some scaled sized square out of paper and jump in!

I just did this problem using PC paint and a bunch of perfect squares. I'm not sure what it has to do with algebra though. :smile:

Anyhow, my advice is to start by figuring out where the unit square would have to go, then work up from there. (Hint: The unit square is going to have to be associated with some other squares that are only 1 unit different from each other). So take the unit square and just the squares that are 1 unit different from each other and figure out how they have to go. Then everything gets built up from there fairly easy. (hint 2: You won't get a rectangle until you're all finished - and its almost square!)

That's what I did and it all just fell right into place. I'm not sure how many ways it can be done, but it only took me about 5 minutes to do it the way I did it.

Last edited:

1. Why is it important to seek help immediately?

It is important to seek help immediately because certain situations, such as medical emergencies or safety concerns, require immediate attention and delay can be harmful or even life-threatening.

2. Who should I reach out to for immediate help?

The appropriate person or organization to contact for immediate help depends on the specific situation. In medical emergencies, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. For other urgent needs, reach out to a trusted friend, family member, or professional such as a therapist or crisis hotline.

3. What should I do while waiting for help to arrive?

While waiting for help to arrive, remain calm and follow any instructions given by the person you contacted for help. If you are in a medical emergency, try to stay still and avoid aggravating your condition. In other situations, try to find a safe and secure location.

4. What information should I provide when seeking immediate help?

When seeking immediate help, provide as much information as possible about your situation, including your location, the type of emergency or assistance needed, and any relevant details such as medical conditions or injuries. This will help the person or organization providing help to better understand and respond to your needs.

5. How can I prevent the need for immediate help in the future?

It is important to take preventative measures to avoid situations that may require immediate help. This can include staying informed about potential risks, making safety plans, and seeking help for ongoing issues or concerns before they escalate into emergencies. It is also important to take care of your physical and mental health to minimize the risk of unexpected emergencies.