Solve Power Series: (x^2)(y")+y=0

• Thread starter momen salah
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation (x^2)(y") + y = 0 using the Frobenius method and finding a general solution in terms of elementary functions. The method is explained and hints are given to finish the solution. There is also a brief discussion about using an inspired guess to solve the equation.
momen salah
hi guys it's me you helped me last time in my bonus problem(thank's for that) i need help again naw please it's a hard problem for me :

solve using power series:
(x^2)(y")+y=0

after solving it i stopped at :

an[n^2-n+1]=0

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you are trying to solve this equation around the point [itex]x_0=0[/itex] you will run into a problem since that is a singular point of that equation.

Are you using the method of Frobenius?

Here is the general solution in terms of elementary functions:
[tex]
\sqrt{x} \cos \left(\frac{1}{2} \sqrt{3} \log (x)\right) C_1+\sqrt{x}
\sin \left(\frac{1}{2} \sqrt{3} \log (x)\right) C_2
[/tex]

i don't know we only learned how to solve de's when there are no singularities

how can i use this Frobenius method

momen salah said:
how can i use this Frobenius method

It's quite an interesting problem, I just took the time to solve it now. Normally with a series solution you expect to find a recursion relation for the coefficients, but this one is quite different. Here, as I'm sure you've already discovered (and I'm guessing where you got stuck), there is no recursion relation and at first it may appear that all the coefficients are forced to zero.

If you apply the Frobenius method you should end up with something in the form of,

[tex] P(r+k) \, \, a_k = 0 [/tex], for each k, where P(.) is a polynomial.

No recursion relation, and all [tex]a_k[/tex] must be zero except for at most a finite number corresponding to the zeros of P(.).

If you got this far and it all seemed wrong then don't depair, you're on the right track. Here are some hints to finish it off.

1. Let [tex]r + k = \omega [/tex] (or whatever) and solve [tex]P(\omega) = 0 [/tex]

2. If you get complex roots then keep going regardless. (Don't worry as later in the solution you can still restrict the remaining coefficients to force y to be a real function).

3. Don't forget that the complex exponential [tex]x^{i \beta}[/tex] can be rewritten as [tex] e^{i \beta \log(x)} [/tex].

Follows those hints and you'll get Crosson's solution with surprisingly little effort.

Last edited:
Why not "guess" a solution of the form x^r, and end up with solutions [tex]x^{1/2 \pm i\sqrt{3}/2}[/tex], which are essentially the same as Crosson ended up with?

There's nothing wrong with using an inspired guess (and verify) to solve a DE, but in this instance the OP did explicitly say that he was asked to solve it using a power series method.

Alright, thanks!

1. What is a power series?

A power series is a mathematical series that is composed of powers of a variable, typically written as x, and coefficients. It is used to represent functions that can be expressed as an infinite polynomial.

2. How can I solve a power series?

To solve a power series, you can use various mathematical techniques such as substitution, integration, and differentiation. In the given equation, (x^2)(y")+y=0, you can use substitution to simplify the equation and then solve for y.

3. What is the purpose of solving a power series?

Solving a power series allows us to approximate functions and evaluate them at specific points. It is also useful in solving differential equations and finding the behavior of functions near a particular point.

4. Can a power series have an infinite number of terms?

Yes, a power series can have an infinite number of terms. This is because it is a representation of an infinite polynomial, where the powers of x continue infinitely.

5. What are some real-world applications of power series?

Power series have various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to approximate functions such as heat flow, electrical circuits, and population growth. They are also used in financial modeling and predicting stock prices.