1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help in deciding my specialization

1. Jun 24, 2015 #1
    Hello everyone,
    I am civil engineering student from India. Im done with my undergrad with a cgpa of 8.5/10 and applied for colleges in America. I will be attending University of Texas at San Antonio for fall 2015. Im confused on which specialization that i need to opt for my graduation. They have structural, transportation/geotechnical, water resources, environmental engineering. Im very weak in hydraulics and my basics in structures are average. But i am currently working on improving my basics in structural engineering too.Can some one please suggest me which course is in more demand in the U.S and which will help me get a job easily in the future. Also is it true that jobs in civil engineering are hard to get if the job applicant is a non american resident with f1 visa? Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's impossible. An F-1 is a student visa. You will need a different kind of visa if you want a job.

4. Jun 24, 2015 #3
    Thank you Vanadiam 50.
    I need a h1b visa to do a job. With f1 visa can i apply for a civil engineering job during the college interviews and still have a fair chance?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2015
  5. Jun 24, 2015 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That depends on how good an engineer you are, doesn't it?

6. Jun 24, 2015 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

When you are seeking a job here in the US, you need to pay attention to the job advertisement and the nature of the job opening. It will state whether the job being advertized will require that you already have the ability to be employed in the US. In fact, some will explicitly indicate that you must either have a permanent residency or citizenship status, meaning that they will not be working on your behalf to change your status.

In other cases, the job advertisement may offer you an "internship" period where they will apply an H1-B visa for you. Note however that this is a temporary employment visa that extends for a maximum period of 3 years. There is also a limited number of this visa issued each year.

Only in rare cases will an employer or the company offers you a job and help you get permanent residency. More often than not, this type of offer is made to those already holding the H1-B visa and already working for them.

Zz.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  7. Jun 24, 2015 #6
    Thank you :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook