I NEED HELP in MAGNETIC CIRCUITS

In summary, the conversation is about two magnetically coupled coils, A and B, with a mutual inductance of 1H. When connected in parallel-aiding, the total inductance is 2.33H and when connected in parallel-opposing, the total inductance is 1.4H. The question is what will happen to the coefficient of coupling if the two coils are connected in series with the mutual inductance remaining the same. The second part of the conversation involves calculating the number of turns in the winding of an electric motor with a flux density of 42,000 maxwells per sq. in. in a 0.2" air gap, assuming a current of 2.
rockerboi
I'm not sure if my answer is correct, I need someone to help me solve this so I could check my answer..

1.) 2 coils A and B are magnetically coupled. When connected in parallel-aiding, the total inductance is 2.33 H, and when connected in parallel-opposing the total inductance is 1.4H. The mutual inductance is 1H. What will happen to the coefficient of coupling if the 2 coils were connected in a series assuming that the mutual inductance remains the same?

2.) The flux density in the 0.2" air gap of an electric motor is 42,000 maxwells per sq. in. If the mmf required to produce this flux is 82% of the total mmf developed by the exciting coil, calculate the number of turns in the winding,assuming a current of 2.2 A.

Thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
As per usual protocol, I guess it would be proper for you to post your own attempts or solutions >_>. Not my rules, but I see good reason for them.

rocker, if you're not aware of the guidelines regarding schoolwork, please click my signature line.

ok! i'll send my solution next time coz I'm in a hurry..i've got so many exams

1. What is a magnetic circuit?

A magnetic circuit is a closed path through which a magnetic flux can flow. It is similar to an electric circuit, but instead of electrons, it involves the flow of magnetic field lines. It consists of a magnetic core, which can be made of materials such as iron or steel, and a coil of wire carrying an electric current.

2. What is the difference between magnetic circuit and electric circuit?

The main difference between a magnetic circuit and an electric circuit is the medium through which the energy flows. In an electric circuit, it is the flow of electrons, while in a magnetic circuit, it is the flow of magnetic field lines. Additionally, in a magnetic circuit, the energy is stored in the magnetic field, whereas in an electric circuit, it is stored in the form of electric charge.

3. Why do we use magnetic circuits?

Magnetic circuits are used to control and enhance the magnetic field for various applications such as electric motors, transformers, generators, and inductors. They help in concentrating the magnetic field, reducing losses, and increasing the efficiency of these devices.

4. How do we calculate the magnetic flux in a magnetic circuit?

The magnetic flux in a magnetic circuit can be calculated using the formula Φ = B x A, where Φ is the magnetic flux, B is the magnetic field strength, and A is the cross-sectional area of the magnetic circuit. This formula is known as Ampere's law.

5. What are the factors that affect the performance of a magnetic circuit?

The performance of a magnetic circuit is affected by factors such as the magnetic material used for the core, the shape and size of the core, the number of turns in the coil, and the current flowing through the coil. Other factors include temperature, frequency, and the presence of air gaps in the circuit.