Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Need Help in reading AGMA Gear Table

1. Apr 1, 2008 #1
    Hi all,

I am confused of how to find the “TOTAL TOOTH-TO-TOOTH SPACING AND PROFILE ERRORS e”.

My Professor want me to determine the ERRORS of a Spur Gear with gear diameter d1 = 420 mm and pinion diameter d2 = 65 mm and a gear module m = 8 and the AGMA Quality is No. 10.

When I see the Table (image is attached below), there are no such information that match with the above problem.

From the table, in AGMA Quality No. 10, the module m is only:

1.5875 – 1.2706 mm
    3.175 mm
    6.35 mm
    12.7 mm

There is no module m = 8

Same as with the Pitch Diameter, there are only:

38.1 mm
    76.2 mm
    152.4 mm
    304.8 mm
    635.0 mm
    1,270.0 mm

There is no Pitch Diameter that is 65 mm and 420 mm.

Can anyone please help me about this?

Many thanks in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2008 #2
    Number of teeth is always an integer. When you divide gear diameter or pinion diameter by the module, you are not getting an integer. So, something is wrong with your data. Probably you already know by now.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to spec. to verify. Please check other pages of spec for proper explanation of how to apply data in the tables. It probably says up to or above when tolerances are applied to the pitch diameters as it is impossible to include each and every conceivable diameter.

Good luck.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?