I in simplifying this boolean expression

In summary, to simplify the expression x'y'+xz'+yz+x'yz'+xy'z, you can use Karnaugh maps and Example 1 from the link provided to group terms and identify common factors, resulting in the simplified expression x'(y' + z') + xy'z'.
elorabees
Can someone please show me how to simplify this expression? I have no clue of how it's done so any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

x'y'+xz'+yz+x'yz'+xy'z

Physics news on Phys.org
elorabees said:
Can someone please show me how to simplify this expression? I have no clue of how it's done so any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

x'y'+xz'+yz+x'yz'+xy'z
Let's look at simplifying this expression: x'y' + x'yz'

Take out the common factor: x'(y' + yz')

Now, suppose y is false, then what's in the brackets evaluates as true.
Conversely, if y is true, then it's going to be the right-most term that determines the result, and this evaluates as z'

So, x'y' + x'yz' simplifies to: x'(y' + z')
Which can be written: x'y' + x'z'

Carry on simplifying pairs of terms ...

Simplifying boolean expressions involves using logical rules and laws to reduce the expression to its simplest form. In this case, we can use the following rules:

1. De Morgan's Laws: (A+B)' = A'B' and (A*B)' = A'+B'
2. Distributive Law: A*(B+C) = A*B+A*C

Using these rules, we can simplify the expression as follows:

x'y'+xz'+yz+x'yz'+xy'z
= x'y'+yz+x'yz'+xy'z (using De Morgan's Law)
= x'y'+x'yz'+xy'z+yz (rearranging terms)
= x'y'(1+z')+yz(1+x') (using Distributive Law)
= x'y'+yz (since 1+z' = 1 and 1+x' = 1)
= y(x'+z) (using Distributive Law)
= y (since x'+z = 1)

Therefore, the simplified expression is y. I hope this helps in understanding how to simplify boolean expressions.

1. What is a boolean expression?

A boolean expression is a statement or equation that evaluates to either a true or false value. It is commonly used in computer programming and logical operations.

2. Why do we use boolean expressions?

Boolean expressions are used to make decisions and control the flow of a program. They allow us to compare values and perform different actions based on the result.

3. How do you simplify a boolean expression?

To simplify a boolean expression, you can use truth tables, algebraic laws, and logic rules. It involves reducing the number of terms and operators in the expression while preserving its logic.

4. What is the purpose of simplifying a boolean expression?

Simplifying a boolean expression makes it easier to understand and work with. It also helps to optimize the performance of a program by reducing the number of logical operations needed to evaluate the expression.

5. Can you give an example of simplifying a boolean expression?

Sure, for example, the expression "A AND (B OR C)" can be simplified to "A AND B OR A AND C" using the distributive law. This reduces the number of logical operations needed to evaluate the expression.